Radio club broadcast to commemorate storm victims

The Tuscaloosa Amateur Radio Club will be operating a special event station on April 28 in remembrance of the 53 people that died as a result of the April 27 tornado. The station will be active on April 28 from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. and will be operating from the top of the western parking deck at the DCH Regional Medical Center.

TARC is a local radio club consisting of more than 70 members that focuses on promoting radio and preserving the “magic of radio.” The club also works to provide education about radio and offers its members a forum through which to expand their hobby. TARC also focuses on providing public service to the Tuscaloosa community, through special event stations like the one that will take place on April 28.

The upcoming special event broadcast will consist of two stations; one will be in voice mode and the other in digital (radio teletype). The voice frequency will be 14.270 and 7.20MHz, and the call sign is W4XI.

In addition to remembrance of the victims of the tornado, the station hopes to provide camaraderie between those who participate. The event’s location overlooks the path of the tornado in order to emphasize the effect of the EF4 tornado that ripped through Tuscaloosa. Members from TARC will set up the broadcast and remain in service all day so that people will have an opportunity to call in.

“Basically we are just going to be on the radio,” said Joel Black, editor of TARC’s “Hamsay” newsletter. “Throw a call sign out, and people can contact us from all over the United States. A lot of times you even get folks in foreign countries. People from all over the world will be able to call in.”

Students interested in the broadcast are invited to call in, or join the members of TARC on top of the western parking deck at DCH. This broadcast provides students, as well as the entire UA community an opportunity to show respect and remembrance for the victims of the tornado, as well as participate in a special event broadcast.

“DCH regional hospital is helping us with the location and the public is invited. Our purpose is to make contacts around the U.S. and remember those who passed on April 27,” said David Drummond, an officer for TARC. “Those who want to stop by and show their support are more than welcome. This is also an opportunity for students to see and understand what amateur radio does.”