Tide looks to upend No. 5 Georgia this weekend

The No. 11 women’s tennis team is looking to rebound from its first Southeastern Conference loss of the year when it takes on the No. 5 Georgia Bulldogs in Athens Friday. Alabama lost their first SEC match of the year Sunday when the No. 2 Florida Gators shut out the Tide, 7-0. Still, head coach Jenny Mainz said her team has been able to improve their play through the first eight SEC matches this year. “We continue to get a little bit sharper and play well,” Mainz said. “The team collectively has found ways to win, match to match.” The Crimson Tide has fared well in the SEC this season, winning seven of their eight matches against in-conference foes. “We play in such a great conference,” Mainz said. “Honestly, I believe the competition we face from match to match is the best in the nation.” The Bulldogs currently have a number of players ranked in both doubles and singles play. In singles, the Tide will once again face ranked competition. The Bulldogs’ Chelsey Gullickson, who is currently ranked 8th nationally, is coming off of a convincing win over Vanderbilt. The Tide will also face sophomore Maho Kowaseh, ranked 50th in the nation. Kowase and sophomore doubles partner Lilly Kimbell are on a 15-game win streak coming into the matchup with the Tide. “Like every SEC opponent we’ve faced this season, each of their players is going to pose a quality threat,” Mainz said. “We are just looking to go into Athens and dominate.” Dominance has led the Tide to its No. 11 ranking, but Mainz said dominance would not be possible without the confidence the players show in each of their matches. “This team really builds on each other,” Mainz said. “It is a collective effort each week, and with every win comes another shot of confidence. We are finding ways to impose our game on all of our opponents, and I think that is where the confidence is found, in the battle.” Alabama will rely on sophomore Mary Anne Macfarlane and junior Alexa Guarachi against the Bulldogs. Macfarlane and Guarachi are ranked 23rd and 56th in singles, respectfully, but both are coming off loses to Florida. Macfarlane and Guarachi are both ranked in doubles as well, with partners junior Antonia Foehse and senior Courtney McLane, respectfully. “All of our players are playing at a great level right now,” Mainz said. “From players one through eight, each of them have stepped up when needed. This is a special group we have this year.” Despite their high ranking, Mainz said Georgia does not intimidate the team. “We are looking at this as an opportunity to show our fight,” Mainz said. “We will not be denied.”