New SGA president, vice presidents to be sworn in

SGA President-elect Matt Calderone will be inaugurated with his four vice presidents and secretary tonight at 5 p.m. at the Gorgas House. The inauguration will be followed by the annual SGA banquet at 6 in Bryant Conference Center.

Calderone said he was looking forward to his year in office and that today’s ceremony would be the first step in his plan to return the SGA to its roots of serving students.

“Words cannot express how humbled and excited I am to have the opportunity to serve my fellow students,” Calderone said. “It is my personal goal that as an SGA we can get back to the core of our existence. That is that we are an organization built off of a foundation of service to others.”

The SGA’s director of communications Dorothy Griffith said the transitory event would recall the achievements of this year’s SGA and anticipate more to come next year.

“These events mark the end of one administration and the beginning of another,” Griffith said. “It is a time for us to reflect on all of our accomplishments from the past year and look forward to the ones to come.”

Calderone’s vice presidents also said they were looking forward to the event and beginning their terms serving the university.

“It seems that all of my hard work, passion for students and love of business are finally making a full circle,” said Andy Koonce, vice president for Financial Affairs. “I am most excited about getting started with the many new initiatives and goals that I have set for the Office of Financial Affairs for the 2012-1013 year.”

“I would like to thank all of those who gave overwhelming support to my campaign,” Koonce said. “Serving the students of UA is not a few hours a week spent in the SGA office; it is an attitude and a mindset. A mindset that I want to use to fuel the momentum of the Office of Financial Affairs to accomplish the goals I have set.  The SGA is here to work for you, and that is exactly what I plan on doing this year as your vice president for Financial Affairs.

Will Pylant, next year’s vice president for Student Affairs, said the inauguration meant a lot to him.

“I am so excited for inauguration today,” Pylant said. “I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with students and their organizations during the campaign, and now I am ready to get to work. It is vitally important for all students to have trust in their SGA, and I look forward to being one of the leaders that restores that trust over the course of the 2012-2013 school year.

“The campaign led to a healthy exchange of ideas on how we can continue moving in the right direction at the University,” Pylant said. “I look forward to working with incoming President Matt Calderone and the other SGA leaders to ensure a great year for everyone on campus.”