Farmer’s market opens on the river

Farmers market opens on the river
Drew Hoover

The recent construction along Jack Warner Parkway has come together to reveal a modern-looking building ready to support local produce and craft with the establishment of the Tuscaloosa River Market.

Located on the Black Warrior River, the market held its dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony last Tuesday. The market has already hosted a number of receptions and group gatherings, and, beginning today, it will open its doors for local farmers to sell their produce.

“We have a soft opening every Tuesday and Saturday in April, so the farmers can come to get acquainted with the building,” said Christy Bobo, the River Market manager. “It’s a trial-test opening.”

April’s soft opening will feature produce farmers from all over the Tuscaloosa area. Thirty farmers have committed for this month, and others are signed up for the grand opening on May 5. Bobo said not all the farmers will be there during the soft opening because their crops are not due until May.

“They are very excited for this venue,” she said. “They are looking forward to the air-conditioned facility with product display stands and grocery carts for their produce.”

City councilman Harrison Taylor was involved in the pre-planning elements of the River Market and was also in attendance for the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“There is no place in Alabama like this, [none in] the Southeast even,” Taylor said. “It’s a very important part of rebuilding Tuscaloosa back.”

Taylor said the River Market will be a great activity for families and children, emphasizing the community aspect of the farmer’s market. Bobby Howard, another city councilman, emphasized the business aspect of the new development on the river.

“It will help the local producers and encourage the citizens to eat healthy,” Howard said. “It will increase activity and commerce in the city.”

Bobo believes the new market is in a perfect location within the city of Tuscaloosa.

“We are right across the street form the library and transportation museum and a block away from the amphitheater, as well as the students on campus,” Bobo said.

The market also is looking to construct a traffic light in front of the building, so customers coming from the library and museum can safely carry their groceries across the street.

“Basically, everyone in the community can come out to have something to do on Saturday,” Bobo said.

The market’s series of soft openings will begin today, and continue every Tuesday and Saturday morning from 7 a.m. until noon. Bobo is now working on plans for the grand opening.

“We are working on having arts and crafts,” she said. “Everything you could imagine at a farmers market will be here.”

If You Go

What: Farmer’s Market soft opening

When: Every Tuesday and Saturday in April from 7 a.m. to noon

Where: Tuscaloosa River Market on Jack Warner Parkway