Tide attempts to reverse losing trend against UAB

Jingyu Wan

Alabama is not the only collegiate baseball team in the state with some losing struggles. Tonight at 6:30, Alabama, having lost seven of its last ten games, will meet UAB, who has lost six of its last ten. Alabama and UAB are meeting in a one-game series at Regions Park in Hoover in the first of two times the teams will meet this season.

UAB (16-9, 2-1 Conference USA) is coming off of two consecutive 5-1 wins over Marshall at home in its Conference USA opening series. Alabama comes into this game after dropping its second straight Southeastern Conference, most recently losing two games to one at home against No. 17 Ole Miss.

Alabama comes into the game with the Blazers at an advantage in strength of schedule. Alabama has played seven games against teams ranked in the top 25, compiling a record of 2-5 in those games. UAB is 1-2 in its three games against top 25 teams.

The edge that Alabama has in strength of schedule is given up in extra-innings experience. UAB is 2-0 in games that have given the fans extra baseball, a 12-inning 1-0 win versus Ball State on Feb. 25 and a 2-1 win against Utah on March 3 that saw 11 innings.

Alabama has seen one extra-inning affair this season, a 12-inning 4-3 loss on the road to No. 4 Arkansas in the SEC-opener.

The Tide will hope to ride the momentum of left-handed starting pitcher Justin Kamplain, who was recently named the SEC Freshman of the Week. Kamplain earned the honor after pitching seven innings in a 3-2 win over Ole Miss. In Kamplain’s time on the mound, he surrendered two runs and three hits while striking out six batters. Kamplain had a no-hitter through six innings.

Kamplain has been a rock for the starting pitching staff, leading the team in strikeouts with 26, ERA with 2.54 and in opponent’s batting average with a .186.

Kamplain, having pitched on Saturday, is unlikely to start against the Blazers. The most likely candidates are freshmen Taylor Gilbeau, Spencer Turnbull, Case Nixon and junior Trey Pilkington.