Kaylin Burchell: a storybook career in the making

Freshman Kaylin Burchell has come a long way from country club swimming. Her dedication to the sport is reflected throughout her many acknowledgements and accomplishments as a swimmer for the Alabama swimming and diving team.

Burchell began swimming as a child at her country club in her hometown of Richmond, Ky., where she first took an interest in the sport.

Coached by Rick Babuka at Telford YMCA and the late Tim Cahill at Colonel Aquatics in her years leading up to her arrival at the University of Alabama, Burchell made quite a name for herself. Burchell holds a Kentucky state record and is a five-time titleholder in the women’s 100-meter breaststroke. In 2008, her hard work earned her the title of United States Olympic Trials qualifier. In her trip to the 2009 USA Junior National Championships, she was a silver medalist in the 100 breaststroke as well.

Head coach Eric McIlquham and said he believes Burchell has the tools for success. She has earned numerous acknowledgements in her first year at Alabama, including SEC Female Freshman of the Week. McIlquham attributed Burchell’s success at Alabama to her dedication to putting in the time needed to get better and improve.

“She just gets in and works hard all day,” McIlquham said. “Our sport is not an easy sport. She’s very consistent and a very hard worker and very dedicated to what she does. She’s very meticulous about her stroke technique and mechanics and doing all those little things. That’s what makes her better. That’s really what’s made her improve so much in a year. We knew she was good, but we’re just really pleased with where she’s come in a year.” Still, Burchell said she doesn’t take chances when it comes to competition. “I take the same stuffed animal with me to every meet and stretch the exact same way,” Burchell said. “I’m definitely a little superstitious.” In the Tide’s first meet of the season against South Carolina and Florida State, Burchell won the 100 and 200-meter breaststrokes and posted the fastest breaststroke split of the meet in the 200-meter medley relay.

“It’s her freshman year and obviously we’re not done,” McIlquahm said. “We’ve got NCAA’s still ahead. And making the SEC All-Freshman team is quite an accomplishment to start her career here. Hopefully it will be a storybook career here at the University.”

More recently, Burchell swam a career-best time of 1:00.53 in the preliminary round of SEC Championships in the 100 breaststroke. The time ranks her second all-time for the Tide, behind Olympic bronze medalist Anne Poleska. She also ranks fourth all-time in the 200 breaststroke and eighth all-time in the 200-meter Individual Medley for the Tide.

Burchell holds pool records in the 100 breaststroke in both the LSU Natatorium as well as in the Bay Vista aquatic Complex at Florida International University.

“She has long-term goals of winning the conference meet and NCAA’s and we’ll go from there,” McIlquham said. “The goal is to win. To win everything”