Exchange student makes quad musical

Exchange student makes quad musical

If you have ever walked around the quad on a nice, sunny day, chances are that you have heard a melody from the saxophone of Mami Shimada.

Mami, an exchange student from Tokyo, Japan, is a freshman majoring in communication studies. Though she admitted that her true dream is to professionally play saxophone, she said with a laugh, “I think I need to study, too, though!”

It was in middle school when Mami first saw the instrument.

“Immediately,” she said, “I knew I wanted to play.”

Eight years later, and Mami has done just that. Though many know her for her jazz music and Disney songs on the quad, she did not initially play there.

“First, I practiced outside near my dormitory,” she explained. “I met some people, and they would say, ‘Keep playing,’ or ‘I like your music,’ and I thought, ‘That’s awesome!’”

Soon, Mami decided to branch out by playing on the quad.

“I thought, maybe on the quad I could reach more people, and get feedback, and play more good music for them. That way, they can enjoy it, and I can enjoy it, too!”

Mami draws inspiration from the music of Louis Armstrong, who, she said, always smiled and did many good songs.

“I would listen to his music and watch his videos, and it was very nice. He can communicate with listeners, and I want to communicate with my audience. I like his playing style, and I think on the quad I can practice it,” she said. “That way, I can communicate with people, and we can enjoy the music together.”

During the day, Mami said she typically enjoys playing happier songs because she thinks the quad is a happy place.

“Everyone smiles, and you can take a nap, play with dogs, or play Frisbee.”

Since she has begun playing on the quad, she also thinks her confidence level has greatly increased.

“People cheer me, and it makes me feel very good. And, if I talk with someone during the songs, I can play better,” she said. “I was surprised. I didn’t know that until I played on the quad.”

One of the things that she has enjoyed most about playing has been the response of the people that walk by her.

“Sometimes they dance or take videos or take pictures,” she said

Once, she was even approached by someone who invited her to play for an audience, where she received a standing ovation for the first time.

“I was so happy,” she said. “They sang with me. So, it was like I could communicate, and it was amazing.”

Mami might not have had such an opportunity had it not been for her popularity on the quad.

She also noted that she would love for other musicians to join her.

Recently, she said, “I met a guy on the Quad, playing the guitar, and my friend sang, and I played with them.”

She really enjoyed it and expressed that she looks forward to more impromptu jam sessions.

“I want to say thank you so much to everyone for being so welcoming,” she said to her fans.

As for when you can find her, she said, “If it’s sunny and pretty, and I don’t have much homework, I will come.”