UA changes graduation day for three colleges

The University announced that it would be adding a Friday night ceremony for its spring commencement exercises.

Students in the Colleges of Communication and Information Sciences, Education, Human Environmental Sciences and Nursing will now have their commencement at 6 p.m., on Friday, May 4 in Coleman Coliseum.

The University said it made the decision due to space constraints, as it did not want to limit the number of guests students could invite to commencement.

In a press release, director of media relations Cathy Andreen said any student who is unable to attend the ceremony scheduled for his or her college may request to be accommodated at another ceremony.

“Our goal is for commencement to be a memorable and meaningful experience for our students and their families,” said Judy Bonner, University of Alabama provost. “With the number of graduates increasing each year, we will be better able to accommodate our graduates and guests by having an additional ceremony.”

Despite the extra day, many students will receive their degrees on the previously announced date of Saturday, May 5.

Students in the College of Arts and Sciences and those in the School of Social Work will receive their degrees at 9 a.m., while those in the Colleges of Commerce and Business Administration and Engineering will receive theirs at 1:30 p.m. The School of Law will also hold its commencement exercises on May 5 at 5:30 p.m.

All of the ceremonies will take place in Coleman Coliseum.

John McWilliams, a senior double majoring in journalism and political science, said the fact that the University moved graduation after telling students they’d graduate on May 5 was poor planning.

“I understand that a lot of people graduate and they don’t want people to sit there for five hours,” McWilliams said, “But Friday evening is not a good time to host it. Some people will have to take off work now to see their children graduate. Also, I’m lucky I don’t have an exam Friday evening, but what if I did?”

Andreen also said that President Robert Witt will be hosting a reception for all graduates from 3 to 4:30 p.m., Friday, May 4 at the President’s Mansion.

The deadline for students to file their spring 2012 degree application is this Friday, March 2.

“The Registrar’s office will send out an email to all pending graduates with general ceremony information, instructions on how to indicate whether or not they plan to attend the ceremonies and instructions on how to specify the address they want their diploma mailed to,” Andreen said.

The Registrar’s office is directing students to their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/uaregistrar, as they will be posting relevant updates on commencement.