Tide earns dominant sweep

Tide earns dominant sweep
Susan Hurwitz

Alabama exploded for a combined 30 runs this weekend as the Crimson Tide swept Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Alabama capped off the sweep with a 9-3 victory on Sunday.

“It was good to see [freshman left-handed starting pitcher] Justin Kamplain get his first collegiate win,” Gaspard said. “We were able to get a comfortable lead early. I thought the bullpen, particularly the back end with [junior right-handed relief pitcher Ian] Gardeck and [freshman right-handed relief pitcher Jake] Hubbard did a good job.”

The comfortable lead that Gaspard enjoyed came in the first inning, in which Alabama scored five runs in the first inning after only scoring one first inning run in the five games preceding Sunday.

“Any time you can score early, it always gets you in a good flow,” Gaspard said. “Particularly with two-out hits that extend the inning and extend the scoring, it was good to see. With each game, our at-bats are getting a little better, and our guys are getting a little more comfortable with what we want to do.”

That offensive rally came after a minor hiccup in the Tide’s defense, giving up a run to Arkansas-Pine Bluff after Kamplain gave up a stand-up double to the leadoff batter, then walked the next one. A badly timed pitch in the dirt allowed both runners to advance to second and third.

“I struggled in the first inning to get my control down,” Kamplain said. “Once I made the adjustments, everything was pretty smooth.”

Kamplain gave up only one hit and no more runs in innings two through five.

While Kamplain was holding the Golden Lion offense down, Alabama kept pounding away at the plate. Alabama scored two runs in the bottom of the second and again in the bottom of the fifth after first baseman Jon Kelton’s single to centerfield drove in Ben Moore and Cameron Carlisle.

Moore, a freshman, had a productive weekend against the Golden Lions, notching three hits and four RBIs, including a three-run home run in the eighth inning of Friday night’s game, and scored three runs.

“I love Ben Moore,” Gaspard said. “I think he’s going to be a heck of a ballplayer for us.”

Gaspard added, “It’s not surprising. He’s been good since he got here in the fall. That’s why he got in the starting lineup as quickly as he did.”

Gaspard also said Moore was “a guy that really jumped out” when it comes to consistent playing time and a starting role going forward.

In many ways, Alabama looked like a completely different team when compared to the team that got swept by Florida Atlantic in the opening weekend.

“It’s a completely different team,” second baseman Kenny Roberts said. “We came out with a lot of intensity, hit the ball and played solid defense. We played how Alabama is supposed to play.”

The stout showing over the weekend should help Alabama going into its next game against South Alabama on Tuesday night.

“Our confidence has shot up after this weekend,” Roberts said.