Andrew Steele talks his comeback

Redshirt junior guard Andrew Steele once announced that his career as a Crimson Tide basketball player was over. Steele then re-joined the Tide’s coaching staff before announcing his return as a player. He bounced back from injury and is coming off two-straight double-digit scoring games.

Crimson White: When you were sidelined with concussion issues earlier in the season, did you ever expect to make a comeback to basketball?

Andrew Steele: I didn’t think about it. I would still play from time-to-time, going up to the Rec and playing with my teammates, but I didn’t image being able to come back in this capacity.

CW: What was it like when you took on an assistant coach-like role while you were sidelined?

AS: Coaching was something I thought I wanted to do when I finished playing. The coaches did a really good job of giving me that chance and letting me experience it firsthand. It furthered my conviction that [coaching is] what I want to do when I graduate.

CW: Do you want to coach here at Alabama when your playing career is over?

AS: I would love to stay here. That would be the dream situation. But, whatever chance I get, I’m going to take it.

CW: Did you step up and change your role on the team after you came back from suspension without senior forward JaMychal Green and junior forward Tony Mitchell?

AS: I think I had to. When I first came back I think I brought a lot of experience to our backcourt because other than Trevor [Releford] and Ben [Eblen], we didn’t have anyone that had played before. Then when we lost [Green] and [Mitchell], with the experience we lost, I felt like I kind of had to step up. It wasn’t necessarily scoring, but to lead and be more aggressive in other ways that can help the team.

CW: What does the possibility of an NCAA tournament bid mean to you?

AS: I’ve never been. No one on our team has ever been. So for me and [Green], who have been here for four years, for him to end his career on that high now would feel really good, especially with how close we are. I’ve heard from everyone it’s an experience unlike anything else. I’ve always watched it since I was little and dreamed of getting to that point. Especially this year with everything I’ve been through personally, and what we’ve been through as a team, it would be the perfect ending to [the season].

CW: Is it unusual for you to be one of the older guys on a team that is so young?

AS: Not necessarily, because even on my high school team I had to assume a leadership role. I remember when I was a freshman and had no clue and thought that the day when I would be one of those veteran leaders is so far away. But, it’s here now.

CW: Do you ever turn to your older brother Ronald, who played for the Tide, for advice and leadership help?

AS: I constantly talk to him now. The biggest thing he told me was to make sure I go out there and lead, stay positive, bring energy, always put the team first and do whatever it takes to win. Learning from him and constantly talking to him has been a big help