World-renowned doctor to speak at symposium

The annual Blackburn Institute Winter Symposium, which serves as a convention for numerous leaders in the state of Alabama and is the largest event the Blackburn Institute hosts, will take place Friday at 6:30 p.m.

This year’s Blackburn Institute Winter Symposium will host a lecture by Dr. Benjamin Carson in the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.

Carson grew up in a single parent home with the dream of becoming a physician. His mother, with only a third-grade education, challenged her sons to strive for excellence. Today, Carson is a full professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center.

In June 2008, President George W. Bush awarded Carson the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the most prestigious honor bestowed on a civilian. In November 2008, U.S. News & World Report recognized Carson as one of “America’s Best Leaders.”

Carson was also named by CNN and TIME magazine as one of the nation’s 20 foremost physicians and scientists.

In 2004, President Bush appointed Carson to serve on the President’s Council on Bioethics, and on Feb. 7, 2009, the award-winning movie titled “Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story,” starring Cuba Gooding Jr. as Carson and based on his memoir, premiered on TNT.

Philip Westbrook, director of the Blackburn Institute, said Carson’s story is an inspiration.

“Dr. Carson has overcome lots of obstacles to make a difference,” Westbrook said. “As a neurosurgeon, he talks about calculating risk and making good decisions that are in the best interest of the people that you are working with, as well as decisions that are in your best interest.”

Caroline Parsons, coordinator of the Blackburn Institute, said Carson inspires and encourages people to overcome adversity and strive to help others.

“Dr. Carson will be speaking on excellence in leadership while maintaining discipline and exhibiting good character,” Parsons said.

“Leadership, development and communication skill-building, as it applies to improving the state of Alabama, is the mission of the Blackburn Institute. Dr. Carson inspires and encourages us to overcome adversity and strive to help others. His story of success is an inspiration to those who have come from disadvantaged backgrounds and managed to succeed in life.”

Carson holds more than 60 honorary doctorate degrees and has received hundreds of awards. He is president and co-founder of the Carson Scholars Fund, which recognizes young people of all backgrounds for exceptional academic and humanitarian accomplishments.

The topic of Friday’s speech is “Think Big.” Carson will talk about his personal formula for success and the philosophy that helped him overcome his obstacles.