Birmingham Fashion Week features students

The second annual Birmingham Fashion Week kicked off on Thursday, Feb. 8 and ended with a grand finale Saturday night, Feb. 12. The show took place in downtown Birmingham at The Pepper Place.

Featured designers Christopher Collins, Lauren Leonard and Jeff Garner debuted pieces from their new collections. Emerging designers from The University of Alabama campus, including Mandi Faulk, Lindsay Cornelson, Shannon Warren, Kelsey Carnes and more were featured.

“After many months of preparation, to see my designs come to life on the runway is another level of amazing,” said Kelly Druce, a junior majoring in textile design who also had the opportunity to showcase her designs in the BFW fashion show Friday night.

Guests beat the winter weather in their faux furs and gathered under the heated white tent where the show took place each day. Designers, stylists, retailers, models, boutiques and other Birmingham residents all came together to celebrate fashion, as well as raise money. Supported charities included Camp Smile A Mile, a camp to help children diagnosed with cancer, and Alabama Forever, a storm relief to communities in Alabama.

Birmingham Fashion Week was created a year ago by former Project Runway contestant Heidi Elnora. Today, Elnora designs classic southern weddings dresses for brides around the world.

A collection of her bridal gowns were displayed on Saturday, Feb. 11 during Bridal Day. On Saturday, brides from all over gathered to see top wedding day fashions from Bella Couture, The Clothes Tree, Kathy G. & Company and even Mr. Burch formal wear for men.

The first 100 brides lined up to receive a swag bag, which consisted of many wedding day items. Styles included one-shouldered necklines with an encrusted broach, low-ruched floor length dresses, diamond accents along the waist, sweetheart necklines, short teacup-style wedding dresses and draped coral and navy bridesmaids’ dresses.

Up and coming trends headlined BFW’s nightlife. Leopard prints, magentas, neutrals and stripes paired with yellows all ruled the runway. Mandi Faulk was named the top emerging designer, Megan Kaple won first runner up and Robert Carter from Birmingham won second runner up.

Birmingham Fashion Week wrapped up Saturday night with a grand finale where all the winners, including Kaple, were announced. Following the show, attendees were invited to an after party in downtown Birmingham.