Sophomore James Borland brings his voice to The Strip

It’s an old stereotype that any guy in college worth his salt can play the guitar. However, it is not every day that a student and his guitar become a fixture of The Strip asked to perform week after week. Birmingham native James Borland, a sophomore majoring in finance, found an outlet not long after arriving at the University of Alabama. Borland plays an eclectic repertoire of covers around Tuscaloosa and has recently been featured weekly at Rounders. After teaching himself guitar during his sophomore year of high school, Borland said that it was a talent show fundraiser that sparked his interest in performing for a crowd. “I really liked the whole vibe being on stage and playing for an audience gave off,” said Borland. “I just played a simple song on guitar and sang along, but it was really fun up there.” Borland said he was hooked and first performed publicly at UA during a fraternity rush event during the beginning of his freshman year. Then in the spring, he found the opportunity to play at the Red Shed twice with a close friend. Borland played once with his friend and the second set solo, catching the ear of the bar’s sound technician. The sound technician, who also worked at Rounders, passed on word to owner Grant McCabe that Borland was well-suited to playing in a bar environment. Borland said he was called after an act cancelled their night at Rounders, and he jumped on the opportunity. After that, Borland has since become a weekly staple to Rounders regulars. Borland said his friends describe him as sounding reminiscent of his favorite artist John Mayer but with twinges of the likes of Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews. He said he lends his voice to some of their songs – bar standbys such as “Wagon Wheel” and “Jack and Diane” – and some requests he’ll take to heart and learn for an upcoming show. However, Borland likes to mix things up from time to time. “I like taking songs that no one would think I would play and put my own twist on it,” said Borland. “I’ll take some Michael Jackson songs or some rap songs and put my own twist on it. Well, I’ll try to sing those songs at least.” Borland’s mother, Laurie Borland, said the core of their musical family can be found in her parents, both graduates from the Birmingham-Southern College conservatory of music. Her mother was a concert pianist, and her father was a high school band director and musician capable of playing a wide range of instruments. Laurie said she fell in love with the flute as a result and aimed to give her three children a similar musical push. “By the time that [my kids] were able to start reading, I knew it would be a big advantage for them to start,” said Laurie. “All three of my kids took piano lessons and quickly became very musical.” Laurie said Borland’s interest in piano was waning by high school, but after her oldest daughter was given a guitar that she rarely played, James fell back into music. “The guitar just sat here until James asked if he could play it one day,” said Laurie. “Next thing I knew, he came down to the kitchen and wanted to play something for me.” Laurie said she expected a musical talent in Borland but was surprised and didn’t expect his vocal prowess. She said she couldn’t be more excited for his son making his way into the world of music but was also proud that his dedication to studies still comes first. “I don’t know about my writing being that great yet, but I love it,” Borland said. “We’ll see. As long as I finish school first, who knows what’s next.”