Chi Omega to collect prom dresses

Operation Prom Dress and Fashion, Inc., have teamed up to collect donated prom dresses to give to high school girls in the community that would not be able to afford them otherwise. For those who wish to help, bring old prom dresses to the Chi Omega house from 2 to 5 p.m. today.

Fashion, Inc., a student organization at the University of Alabama, and Operation Prom Dress, a local non-profit organization, believe that no one should miss out on the opportunity to experience prom. Their goal is to provide girls in Tuscaloosa with a prom dress.

Both organizations strive to promote confidence and positive self-image for young women. They are seeking help from local organizations, businesses and students. If you don’t have a prom dress to donate but want to help out, they are also accepting shoes, jewelry and unused makeup.

Not only are these organizations looking out for the young women of the community, but the young men as well. The organizations are accepting old tuxedos or people who can help with free or discounted rentals.

“For me, Operation Prom Dress is the chance to give back to the community,” said Theresa Mince, the Tuscaloosa coordinator for Operation Prom Dress and the President of Fashion, Inc. “A lot of families are still reeling from the financial burden caused by the April tornadoes, and this is the opportunity to make sure that no young woman has to miss prom due to financials.”

Quella Hardwick is the mastermind behind Operation Prom Dress and said the April tornadoes inspired the program.

Some of the high schools Mince has coordinated with thus far are Central, Northridge, Bryant, Holt, Hillcrest and Tuscaloosa County High School. There will be dress drives throughout February and most of March.

“It’s a fun way for our members to get involved in the community and put their styling skills to the test,” Mince said.

The University of Alabama Panhellenic Community has been inspired to help collect dresses for this cause

“This is a great way for the Panhellenic women to be able to reach out to girls in the community,” said Maggie Gray, the University Panhellenic director of educational programming. “Women on campus remember what senior prom meant to them in high school, so it’s a neat opportunity for them to be able to make that night special for young ladies in the Tuscaloosa and Birmingham areas.”

The Panhellenic community is constantly looking for ways to give back to Tuscaloosa, and this is just the start of many influential causes.

“We often take advantage of things like buying a dress, and it’s great to know we can contribute to making this experience special for these girls,” said Lee Behr, Chi Omega’s Panhellenic delegate.