Students should register to vote in Tuscaloosa

Sara Colburn

Campaigns today last a long time and, unless one is a political junkie, it is easy to get burned out by the whole process. Political debates become more of a contest of who can get in the best one-liner or most damaging criticism. Talk shows tend to become shouting matches and everyone talking at once. Despite how fed up you may get with politicians, elections or politics in general, apathy is not the best course of action.

A wise man once said that decisions are made by those who show up, and a wise woman said that the only thing that has ever really changed the world is a group of dedicated and concerned citizens. There are 31,747 students here at the Capstone, and you can bet that elected officials will listen to that large of a group. But we must get involved and educate ourselves about the issues and then engage with our officials.

We spend the majority of our time here in Tuscaloosa. We’re here for four years and spend at least nine months of the year here. This is our home and we have a stake in what goes on in this city and state. Given that, it makes perfect sense to register to vote in Tuscaloosa.

Some may want to keep their registration back home and cast absentee ballots. That is fine, but I encourage all of you to register to vote here in Tuscaloosa since we do spend the majority of our time here and the decisions made by elected officials affect us directly.

The Student Government Association encourages students to get involved in the electoral process first and foremost by registering to vote. There will be voter registration drives held on Feb.  14 and 22. You can also stop by the SGA office (231 Ferguson) at any time and ask to get a voter registration form. The primary elections will be held in Alabama on March 13 (during Spring Break). So, before you put on your swimsuit and rush into the ocean, make sure you send in your absentee ballot if you will not be in the county in which you are registered to vote.

We often hear that this election is important and that there is too much at stake to not vote. The truth is, there is always a lot at stake and we should take an active role in the decision making process.

I encourage all of you to register to vote here in Tuscaloosa during one of the voter registration drives or stop by the SGA office. Your voice really is heard. Imagine how big of an impact we could make if all of us were involved in the process here in Tuscaloosa.

Jeff Elrod is a junior majoring in political science and a candidate for SGA Vice President of External Affairs.