Grant suspends three more starters

Grant suspends three more starters

Alabama basketball was plagued with further suspensions Friday night, as head coach Anthony Grant suspended three starters: sophomore point guard Trevor Releford, senior forward JaMychal Green and redshirt junior forward Andrew Steele, for violating team rules.

Grant said the violations occurred in Tuscaloosa, not while in Baton Rouge. Grant had a graduate assistant drive the three players back to Tuscaloosa Saturday morning. Grant also said he would not get more specific than calling it a violation of team rules.

The trio that was suspended Friday joined junior forward Tony Mitchell, who was indefinitely suspended on Feb. 6 for conduct detrimental to the team. There is no timetable for any of the players’ return to the team.

“[I am] very disappointed in some of the choices those individuals made,” Grant said. “You’re dealing with young men, I understand. I was a college student once. I can’t say I’ve always done everything right all the time. But, it’s disappointing because of how much it affects other people. From loved ones and teammates, this program, the goals of the program and everyone that cares deeply about this university, they didn’t act responsibly.

“I’m in charge of this program, so I take responsibility for these young men in terms of their decisions and the values they learn,” Grant said. “We’ve got to continue to do as best a job as we can to learn and grow as young men.”

The suspensions forced the Crimson Tide to play only eight players against LSU, a game that Alabama lost 67-58.

“I just coach the guys that are available,” Grant said. “I thought these guys competed tonight. It is what it is in terms of the manpower available. They answered the call, I thought.”

Freshman guard Rodney Cooper stepped up in the time of need, setting a new career high with 28 points while contributing five steals in 38 minutes.

“I was just trying to help the team win,” Cooper said. “I wasn’t worried about minutes in the future. I was determined to play hard.”

Cooper said the players that were available in Baton Rouge put together a valiant effort.

“We just wanted to come out and play with intensity, be aggressive,” Cooper said. “Coach emphasized that we needed to play with heart. The team came together at halftime. The game wasn’t over, and we stopped making excuses.”

The circumstances saw two Alabama players, Cooper and freshman guard Trevor Lacey, set career highs in minutes played, with 38 and 36, respectively. Junior guard Ben Eblen and sophomore center Carl Engstrom also set season highs in minutes, with 29 and 18, respectively.

Grant addressed the future of the suspended players after the loss to LSU.

“Short term is we’ll go back and prepare for a home game on Tuesday,” Grant said. “The long term is that we’ll continue to build our program to represent this university and our community the way it should be.”

Alabama plays host to the Florida Gators this Tuesday at 6 p.m., a game that will be televised on ESPN. The Gators were ranked No. 7 nationally before losing to Tennessee, 75-70, in Gainesville on Saturday.