Tide hungry for season to get underway Friday

After falling one game short for a spot in the final round of the Women’s College World Series last year, the Crimson Tide softball team is ranked second and third in the ESPN.com/USA Softball and USA Today/NFCA polls.

Junior Kayla Braud said after coming so close, the Tide is ready to do it again.

“We don’t necessarily talk about it much,” Braud said. “It’s not one of the things we talk about at practice or mention all the time, but it has just given us an inner drive to push harder and to finish stronger.”

With 15 returning letter winners, including six seniors, Alabama is loaded with experience and leadership. Head coach Patrick Murphy said the experiences this team has leaves it well prepared.

“This might be the most experience we’ve ever had coming back on the team,” Murphy said. “The amount of game situations they’ve been in. They’ve been to the World Series. They’ve played in SEC Championship games. That experience is going to carry us a lot this year. They’re going to help the five freshman: keep them under control, keep their emotions in check and realize it’s never over until its over.”

As a senior, one of Amanda Locke’s goals is to be a leader.

“I want to bring a consistent mentality and competitive mentality every day,” Locke said. “Be as consistent as I can on offense and defense. Do my job everyday.”

She added, “Coach Murphy, coach Aly [Habetz] and Steph [VanBrakle] have set us up. They’ve given us all the tools we need. They’ve taught us so much. They teach you how to be a leader here. They instill it in you.”

In the offseason, the Tide added two members to its coaching staff, Stephanie VanBrakle and Adam Arbour.

“They’ve brought great things to the table,” Murphy said. “New energy. They’re the younger version of me and Alyson.”

As a former pitcher for the Tide, VanBrakle’s influence will have immediate impact. One of the biggest questions facing Alabama this season will be pitching. With the exit of Kelsi Dunne, sophomore Jackie Traina will become an even more critical piece to the Tide’s season.

“Our pitching staff has to come through,” Murphy said. “We have a returning first team All-American, but we have four other kids that are very capable, and they need to come through for us.”

Alabama won’t get any breaks from its schedule. Alabama faces a total of 17 teams ranked in the initial USA Today/NFCA poll and 18 teams ranked in the ESPN.com/USA Softball poll, with four of those teams coming from the Southeastern Conference.

The Tide’s season begins Friday, facing Jacksonville State, Memphis, Lipscomb and South Alabama in the Mardi Gras Invitational in Mobile.

Obtaining a national championship isn’t the only goal the team has for the season, but for Murphy, it’s the biggest one.

“We keep going back, we have to win it one of these years.” Murphy said.