Bama hauls in high school headliners

Bama hauls in high school headliners

The Alabama Crimson Tide was able to bring in another stellar recruiting class on National Signing Day Wednesday, bringing in the nation’s top-rated recruiting class according to Rivals.com.

Several highly-touted recruits lead Alabama’s 26-member class. Alabama’s recruiting class was headlined by athletes Eddie Williams and Cyrus Jones, as well as wide receivers Chris Black and Amari Cooper, to name a few. The class consists of three five-star recruits and 14 four-star recruits.

Head coach Nick Saban said he believes this class will have a successful career at the University. “We’re very, very pleased with the group of players that we were able to attract this year, in this signing class,” Saban said. “…We do feel like these young men were recruited here because we felt that they could be successful at this institution.” Despite Alabama’s addition of a number of productive offensive players, the Tide was also able to haul in some of the best defensive talent in the nation to help fill a depleted defensive backfield. Alabama lost six out of eight starters in the defensive backfield but was able to reload at these positions by signing five linebackers and four defensive backs. Of course, Landon Collins, a safety out of Louisiana, was the Tide’s biggest haul of the day. Saban discussed the possibility of Collins playing early in his career. “We feel like Landon Collins is an outstanding player, a fine young man,” Saban said. “We give everybody an opportunity to play as freshman. The more mature guys that learn more quickly are the guys that have the best chance to contribute as freshman. Landon’s definitely demonstrated all these qualities.” Another huge aspect of this class is the number of early enrollees. Alabama brought in eight mid-year signees, who are already going through offseason workouts and will be able to participate in spring training. One of those early enrollees, Alfonse Taylor, said he has been able to adjust well to college life and hasn’t experienced any culture shock transitioning from high school to college. “It’s not too much difference to the high school life,” Taylor said. “You just get up every day, go work hard in class, work hard in the weight room and get better every day. Because you never stay the same, you get better or you get worse, so you wake every day and just hope you get better.” Another early enrollee, Black, said he was excited seeing all the players that signed with Alabama on Wednesday, and said he had great expectations for this year’s No. 1 recruiting class. “It’s definitely an honor,” Black said. “Like I said before, just knowing that I got a lot of guys around me that are explosive players, impact players, that makes me feel good.”