Outdoor Rec offers adventure this spring

Every semester, the Outdoor Recreation Center sponsors trips around Tuscaloosa and the eastern United States doing various activities in the great outdoors. The spring semester features the usual hiking, biking and climbing, but also a spring break trip spent skiing in the mountains.

T-Town Pull Down

When: Feb. 4

What: The first 50 students to fill out their registration forms, found at urec.sa.ua.edu, will be allowed to compete in a rock climbing competition at the Student Recreation Center.

Cost: $30 registration before Jan. 30, $40 after Jan. 30 or on the day of camp

Sipsey Wilderness Backpacking

When: Feb. 24-26

What: This weekend expedition includes hiking and camping in the Sipsey Wilderness in Northern Alabama.

Cost: $40 for student members, $50 for non-student members

Provided: The Outdoor Recreation Center will provide guides, transportation, hiking equipment, food, water filters, tents and headlamps.

Spring Break Ski Trip to Snowshoe, WV

When: March 10-14

What: Everyone on this trip will enjoy four days of skiing. The only things trip-goers need to bring are clothing, toiletries and money for food.

Cost: $650 for student members, $750 for non-student members

Provided: The Outdoor Recreation Center will provide guides, transportation, lodging, three-day lift tickets and equipment rental.

Road Bike Chief Ladiga Trail

When: March 31

What: The Chief Ladiga Trail runs from Anniston, Ala. to the Georgia state line. During the trip, participants will run a 13-mile stretch of the 33-mile trail.

Cost: $30 for student members, $40 for non-student members

Provided: The Outdoor Recreation Center will provide guides, transportation, road bikes and helmets.

Caving Tumbling Rock Cave

When: May 14-22

What: Spend the weekend exploring some of Alabama’s caves, which boast geologic features you won’t see anywhere else.

Provided: The Outdoor Recreation Center will provide guides, transportation, helmets, headlamps, kneepads and gloves.