UA services help with resolutions

January is usually a month of working towards New Year’s resolutions, but February through December are usually months of forgetting about them. With school, work and a social life, many students let these goals fall to the side. However, there are some services the University of Alabama offers that could help students stay on track with these common New Year’s goals.

“I want to get healthy/ lose weight:”

Every UA student knows about the state-of-the-art rec center on campus; however, for a little extra money, there are options that could help any student succeed.

For students who may not know how to navigate their way around the gym, personal training is always an option. You can purchase eight or 12 sessions, a single session or a small group session.

To anyone who feels weightlifting and the standard cardio machines aren’t for them, the indoor rock wall provides a full-body workout that is out of the ordinary. The first rock climbing experience is free for students and only $15 for unlimited access for a semester. You can also get a good cardio workout outside of the gym by renting a bike from the Outdoor Recreation Center. The Outdoor Recreation Center also offers outdoor trips that require some fitness with things like kayaking, rock climbing and biking.

If exercise isn’t your problem when it comes to your health, but eating right is, the Student Health Center offers nutritional counseling to students. Each session costs $20 and can cover anything from general nutrition information to weight management help.

“I want to quit smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.:”

For one-on-one help with addiction problems, the Counseling Center is the best place on campus to go for a much lower price than a typical visit to a psychiatrist around town. However, if one-on-one help isn’t for you, the Counseling Center offers other options.

On an as-needed basis, the Center will set up support groups to help with any addiction or disorder. Just contact the Center directly about getting involved. They can also provide you with information about online programs that have been known to help students get past their addictions.

“I want to be happier:”

Just as the Counseling Center helps with addiction, they can also help students who aren’t feeling quite like themselves. No matter what the reason for your current depression, there are places that can help get you in a happier state of mind.

Two support groups the Counseling Center is currently offering are “Body Appreciation” and “Self-Kindness.” There is also a tornado support group to help those coping with the aftermath of the April 27 tornado.

The Women’s Resource Center is another place where women specifically can seek help. Similar to the Counseling Center, they offer support groups on everything from thesis support to relationship help to self-awareness problems. They also provide an opportunity to meet new people through groups such as the Brown Bag Lunch Series and various book clubs.

“I want to volunteer more in my community:”

If your New Year’s goals are focused more on helping others than yourself, there are plenty of opportunities in Tuscaloosa to get involved. Whenever you’re having trouble finding the right place to volunteer, the Community Service Center is the best place to look.

There is everything from helping with tornado relief to helping out with pet adoptions. The Service Learning Pro website can show you available projects as well as calculate your hours if you need them for a class or organization.

For big projects, the Community Service Center provides volunteering days and alternative breaks. For spring break this year, there is a domestic volunteering opportunity with Habitat For Humanity and an international break in Guatemala.

The Women’s Resource Center also provides opportunities throughout the semester to volunteer in their office and on projects that focus on women’s health and domestic violence.

Other resolutions UA students have:

“My resolutions are to be neater and more organized.” – James Landry, a junior majoring in marine science and chemistry “I want to be 2 inches taller.” – Tyler Morgan, a freshman majoring in economics and philosophy “I want to get my schoolwork done on time so I can go to the gym more.” – Mark Terzano, a freshman majoring in business “I want to procrastinate less.” – Olivia Holmes, a freshmen majoring special education “I want to be more organized and plan ahead better.” – Elizabeth Rust, a sophomore majoring in communication studies