T-town dancers team up for Nutcracker ballet

Michael J Moore

For the first time ever, the Tuscaloosa Community Dancers will collaborate with The University of Alabama Department of Theatre and Dance to perform The Nutcracker ballet at the Bama Theatre this December. Over 20 UA dancers will perform.

TCD has staged The Nutcracker for over 30 years. This timeless holiday classic has become a worldwide sensation since its premier in 1892.

“It’s not Christmas without The Nutcracker,” said Leslie Cheek, a freshman majoring in dance who has been performing with TCD since she was 14.It‘s a Tuscaloosa city tradition, as well has a holiday tradition. Everyone in the community comes out to watch, and dancers can feel the love from the town.”

Performances will be at the Bama Theatre on Dec. 8 and 9 at 7 p.m., Dec. 10 at 2 and 7 p.m., and Dec. 11 at 2 p.m. For tickets, call TCD’s Box Office at (205) 752-4220.

Chanse Jones, a sophomore majoring in dance from Jackson, Miss., said he’s excited to be involved with a Tuscaloosa holiday tradition, especially because he is from outside the state.

“It’s great to be able to dance for this college town that I now consider home,” Jones said.

More than 20 UA dancers will perform in TCD’s production as the Nutcracker and the Mouse King, Flowers, Snow Queen and King and various variations, alongside the community cast.

“The Nutcracker is TCD’s first true collaboration with the University,” said Milla Green, a member of the Board of Directors of TCD. “UA has a phenomenal dance program. It is so exciting for TCD’s dancers to get to work alongside talented dancers from the University to put on a true community production. This Nutcracker is going to be our best yet.”

The UA Dance Department has grown rapidly over the past several years due in no small part to the dance faculty’s quality teaching. The collaboration with TCD gives UA dancers more performance opportunities, and it gives the community another opportunity to see top-caliber performers.

This performance also marks the last Nutcracker to be staged by TCD’s longtime artistic director, Rebecca Tingle, who is retiring. Tingle has directed 30 productions for TCD and 23 productions of The Nutcracker.

“Rebecca Tingle has been my teacher since I was four,” Cheek said. “She cares about TCD’s dancers and her girls more than she cares about herself. Her studio is her life, and that’s what makes the performances she directs so compelling. She is one of the most wonderful people I’ve ever met in my life.”

The UA dancers in The Nutcracker urge students to come and support their peers in the show.

“These young dancers are flawless,” Jones said. “Even on stage I can’t help but gawk at them and how breathtaking they are in the smallest movements they make. Everyone needs to come and support the young dancers of Tuscaloosa – see what amazing talent this town has to offer!”