New bus routes, concierge service debut this fall

Maria Grenyo, Contributing Writer

The University of Alabama is introducing new ways for students and staff to get around campus this year. Crimson Ride bus routes have new names, and the buses will stop at apartment complexes near campus. These changes will be effective for the fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters. 

As usual, staff and students can use the free app Passio GO! to keep track of where the buses are and when they will arrive.

The new names of the bus routes correspond to where the buses will travel. These include the Coleman Route, Perimeter Route, Hub Routes 1 and 2, Bryce Routes 1 and 2, North and South Rec Routes and the Residential Route. 

The buses will run from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. On weekends, the bus routes may change depending on whether there is a home football game. 

Buses will also travel to more apartments near campus to accommodate off-campus students, especially those who were forced off campus due to over-capacity residence halls on campus.

Last year, buses ran to a few apartments, including The Lofts and East Edge, but the University has expanded to more apartments this year, including The Bluffs, Evolve Tuscaloosa and The Cottages.

These buses will operate during the same times as the on-campus buses. The routes will also operate 24 hours on Saturdays and Sundays but are subject to change during home football game weekends.

The University will use an entirely new service for faculty and staff called Crimson Concierge. This van transportation service will pick up faculty and staff members exactly where they are and shuttle them to meetings or other destinations across campus from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

James Knickrehm, Associate Director of Transit in the Office of Transportation Services, said Crimson Concierge will ensure faculty and staff can travel cross-campus with fewer worries.

“Crimson Concierge will help alleviate the stress of driving a personal vehicle around campus looking for a parking space close to the faculty or staff member’s meeting. Additionally, the service saves the faculty or staff member time and money by cutting the requirement to plan extra time to traverse campus for their meetings,” he said.

He said the University will upgrade the program as necessary depending on demand for transportation.

“As more faculty and staff register and begin using Crimson Concierge, Transportation Services will evaluate the need for more vans and drivers to meet the need,” Knickrehm said.

The service area includes the main campus and the University Services Campus. Faculty and staff can request a ride using their myBama credentials on the Crimson Concierge app or through the ride request website.

The University also partners with Tuscaloosa Transit. Anyone with an ACT card can park at the Tuscaloosa Downtown Intermodal Facility, a large parking structure in downtown Tuscaloosa, for free. Shuttles run from there to campus every 30 minutes from 5 a.m. until 6 p.m.