Tide’s quick stride ability beats Morehead

The Alabama women’s soccer team improved their record to 5-2-1, defeating Morehead State University on Sunday. The Crimson Tide won its first ever match against Morehead State 2-1.

“We’ve got mixed emotions coming out of here,” head coach Todd Bramble said. “We found a way to get the win and the game, but it wasn’t our best performance.”

The Tide struck early when junior Ashley Willis took the ball to the far post in the first minute of the game.  The goal was Willis’s second of the season.

Morehead State University tied the game up in the second half when Devon Jordan chipped the ball past sophomore Shanna Brooks.

“It was a good shot from the outside,” Bramble said. “It just snuck in under the crossbar. I thought Shanna’s footwork and the ability to try to get back to that was good, but it was just placed perfectly.”

Both teams had some good scoring chances and picked up their pace after Morehead’s goal.

“It was really intense for both teams,” Brooks said. “We pulled the win out, but we also gave them the chance to score goals that we shouldn’t have let them have.”

Freshman Pia Rijsdijk scored the game-winner in the 75th minute after following through on a shot by senior K.K. Duffy. The goal was Rijsdijk’s first goal with the team.

“Being the first to rebounds is extremely important, whether its goals coming off of the goalkeeper, goalpost or crossbar,” Bramble said. “Fortunately, Pia was paying attention to detail today and got there and had the composure to stick it in.”

Brooks earned a win in her second game with the Tide this season. Goalkeeper Justine Bernier is currently playing for Team Canada.

The Tide led Morehead State in shots 12-6, with Rijsdijk leading the team with six shots.

The Tide had eight days between games to rest before the game against Morehead State.

“Coming off of a week where we had a long layoff, I think we were out of our rhythm a little bit,” Bramble said. “The long layoff seems like it’s worked against us more than it helped us.”

Bramble said the game was very physical, but the Tide is not going to shy away from physicality.

“You never know what you’re going to get from the referees,” Bramble said. “This referee chose to let play happen today and unfold. It’s resulted in a lot of contact. I’m sure both teams are going to be a little bit sore tomorrow as a result of it.”

The Tide will be facing its first Southeastern Conference opponents at home starting this weekend.

“I think we are ready for next week,” Rijsdijk said. “We are doing better every week. It wasn’t our best play today, but we’re ready for SEC play.”

The Tide will play Vanderbilt Friday at 7 p.m. and Kentucky on Sunday at 1 p.m.