Tide golf looks to start new season strong

The Alabama Men’s golf team starts the 2011-2012 season this Friday, teeing off in the Carpet Capital Collegiate at The Farms in Rocky Face, Ga.

The Crimson Tide begins the season ranked third in the Golf World/Nike Division-I Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Head coach Jay Seawell talked about the possible championship expectations for the team going into the season.

“I think we’ve built the program in a position where you’re thinking about championships every year,” he said. “I think we have the players in play. I think anything less than looking for SEC and NCAA Championships – we wouldn’t be doing our job. I think that’s our expectation. It’s a long year, and we got a lot of work to do, but that’s what we go to work for everyday.”

Even though they are the third-ranked team in the nation, high expectations are nothing new to the Alabama golfers. “I think all these guys on our team – they were ranked in the top five all last year. We got a couple new guys that are stepping into the lineup. I think they have dealt with this all their lives, with expectations and all,” Seawell said. “So, I think we are pretty comfortable in it, and I think we are looking forward to it and we think it is better to embrace it than hide from it. So, we are embracing the situation and look forward to seeing what the year has for us.”

The team returns senior captain Hunter Hamrick, who has a 72.75 career scoring average to go with nine top-ten finishes and three career victories. Coach Seawell talked about how he is looking forward to seeing Hamrick’s leadership this season.

“That guy is our captain – we named him captain at the first meeting. He is everything that you want in a captain. He has proved on the golf course. He has done some things from a leadership point, on and off the golf course,” Seawell said. “So, I think the guys have his respect. Coaches are coaches, but players do a lot better job with each other, and so I am looking forward to see how he handles the leadership this year.”

Along with Hamrick, the Tide returns standout sophomores Bobby Wyatt and reigning SEC Freshman of the Year Cory Whitsett. As freshmen last season, Wyatt was named to the All-SEC Freshman team, and Whitsett was named as a second team All-American. Coach Seawell talked about how he is pleased with how they are performing.

“They look really good. We got some good competition at home. I truly believe that Bobby and Cory – if they continue to progress and stay hungry and really just embrace the year, they have a chance to be first-team All-Americans, Player of the Year-type candidates,” Seawell said.

The Tide has two new faces on this year’s team – talented freshmen Justin Thomas and Tom Lovelady. Seawell said the two of them have been impressive leading up to the start of the season.

“Both of them have really just stepped right in, and they are both going this week to the Farm for our first tournament, The Carpet Classic,” Seawell said. “So, both of them have just jumped right in, played well, and worked hard, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they handle their college experiences.”