More than a game: Hunter Hamrick

Senior Hunter Hamrick is starting his fourth season as captain of the men’s golf team. Hamrick, who graduated from high school early, loves challenging himself. Competitiveness is just part of Hamrick’s nature, and he is looking forward to adding a fourth career win this season. Golf is his passion, and he’s been playing since he was a kid. Hamrick grew up in Alabama and enjoys getting outdoors and relaxing.

The Crimson White: Being from Montgomery, were you always an Alabama fan?

Hunter Hamrick: I would say so. My dad went to school here, and my parents were always Alabama fans. I enjoy watching all of the sports here at the University.

CW: How was your experience at the U.S. Amateur this year?

HH: It was fun. It was my fourth time being at the U.S. Amateur. I took a better attitude going into it this time. I played really well, but the golf course didn’t really fit my game, so it was really hard for me to compete. Golf is always courses for courses, but it was enjoyable.

CW: Besides golf, what is your favorite sport?

HH: I really like to watch all college sports. I like football and basketball, but I think that I like basketball more than football. I’ll watch college basketball and the NBA.

CW: What do you like to do in your spare time?

HH: I’m weird. I really like to play golf. When I’m not playing tournaments, I’m playing games on golf courses at home or around town. In the wintertime, I’ll go to the beach, fish or hunt. I go bear hunting in the winter. I really enjoy that.

CW: Where’s your favorite place that you hunted?

HH: I love going duck hunting in Arkansas. I’ve been down to Louisiana, and that’s really fun too. I would say my favorite place is probably Louisiana.

CW: What would be your dream vacation?

HH: I would love to go somewhere down in the Caribbean. I would like to fish, lay in the pool and eat popsicles all day.

CW: So since you like popsicles, what’s your favorite flavor?

HH: I like any of them. My favorites would be either banana or chocolate fudge, but I like all of them.

CW: What would you say that most people don’t know about you and would find interesting?

HH: I enjoy painting and art. I don’t get to do it as much as I want to, but I really like it. In high school, I took a lot of art classes because I thought they were fun. I’m not good at it, but I like to paint.

CW: What your favorite type of painting?

HH: I’ll paint anything. I’ll paint using watercolors and acrylic. You can show me something, tell me to paint it and I will. I love it all.

CW: Since it’s your senior year, do you plan on being a pro golfer one day?

HH: Yes. I plan on turning pro after the end of this season.