Tide looks to win at home

The University of Alabama’s soccer team rebounded Sunday with a win against San Diego State after a loss on Friday to San Diego.

On Friday, the Tide struggled against San Diego losing 2-0. San Diego outshot the Tide 13-3.

“We got a little too excited,” junior Lindsey Sillers said. “We lost focus on the things that we are good at. We were never able to get control of the game Friday night.”

The Crimson Tide came away with a win against No. 22 San Diego State on Sunday. The win moved the Tide’s record to 3-2-1. Goalkeeper Justine Bernier earned her second shutout of the season with a 1-0 win.

“Our determination to play better than we did Friday night helped our team, because Friday was a rough time for our team,” Sillers said. “We were determined to play like the team that we are.”

Sophomore Kendall Khanna scored her second goal of the season and the game’s only goal after a counterattack from the team 13 minutes into the game.

Head coach Todd Bramble said freshman Laura Lee Smith won the race to the ball and passed it to Khanna for the goal.

“Smith and Khanna are two players that have a lot of speed,” Bramble said. “It was a big goal for us. It was a crucial moment in the game and in our season for us.”

The team said they will use San Diego as a learning experience for the rest of the season.

“The team has reminded ourselves that we are a good team,” Bramble said. “They know that they can win big games and overcome adversity. If we can continue to focus on ourselves and keep our confidence, then we’re going to be okay.”

The Tide will take on the UAB Blazers this weekend at home. The Blazers lost 4-0 to Florida on Sunday. The Tide said they are going into the game against UAB on Friday prepared.

“I think that after beating San Diego last weekend, we have a lot of confidence,” Khanna said. “We just need to make sure that we don’t get overconfident.”

UAB’s head coach Harold Warren’s first season with the team has resulted in a record of 2-3-0 so far this season.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for their program,” Bramble said. “They’re playing with a new sense of purpose this season with their coach’s first year on board. They’ve gotten some good results already.”

First responders will be honored during Friday’s game, and the first 200 first responders will receive a free hotdog and drink. A free movie showing will happen after the game for kids.

The Tide will play UAB at home Friday at 7 p.m. at the Alabama Soccer Stadium.

“They’re definitely a good team,” Khanna said. “Some people might underestimate them just because it’s a smaller school, but we have to go in with the attitude that they’re going to be a good team and someone we have to respect.”