UA coordinates diabetes information group

In America, there are a total of 25.8 million children and adults with diabetes, according to diabetes.com, the official website for the American Diabetes Association. In an attempt to educate those who have the disease, UA student Koushik Kasanagottu is working to coordinate a program for those in the Tuscaloosa and Black Belt region.

The program, which Kasanagottu says is based on a “we see, we do” concept of teaching, will include a number of different information sessions. Based off of the system coordinated in Birmingham by UAB medical students, UA’s program will receive support and help from the prospective doctors when needed.

“We are very fortunate to have their help, and I appreciate them taking time out of their schedule to help us,” Kasanagottu said. “I have seen this program being extremely beneficial to the people around [Birmingham].”

According to a UAB medical website, there are also classes such as diabetes prevention and diabetes management available for people in the community.

The program in Tuscaloosa has yet not started and is in the beginning stages of development. At the beginning of the fall semester, an interest meeting about the program will be held, Kasanagottu said.

“Then, a core group of students and I will begin planning the structure of the program,” he continued. “There is no definite date on when we will actually go out and begin the education process. Once the program is fully functioning, we will have a website that has our contact information.”

Sessions will focus on topics such as exercise and nutrition and will be held in the communities where they visit.

“This is the exciting part of the program,” Kasanagottu said. “We will be hosting these sessions in their community such as their local church, community center, school, etc. We are bringing the information to them, rather than asking them to come to us.”

One of the first things students involved with the program will do is get in touch with a local doctor or physician who specializes in diabetes care and has diabetes patients that may benefit from the program.

Diabetes is the sixth leading cause of death among Alabamians, as stated on the Alabama Department of Heath website. The disease can also lead to blindness, kidney failure and amputations.

“As one of the leaders from the UAB diabetes project said, ‘We will relegate diabetes in Alabama to a footnote in the history books!’” said Kasanagottu. “I share his sentiments. My hopes for the program are to help patients with diabetes cope with their changing lifestyle and provide a venue for discussing their day-to-day hardships. This program is more than just education. It is a way to share ideas and relay to them that they are not alone. My personal wish after each session is that each person goes home with a friend who is going through the same thing as them.”