Music seminar comes to Alabama

The University of Alabama’s Department of Music will host the 2011 Alessi Seminar at Moody Music Concert Hall from July 29-Aug. 6. This nine-day event is directed by the New York Philharmonic’s principal trombonist, Joseph Alessi.

“Mr. Alessi’s vision to create an event that elevates both trombone playing and pedagogy to the highest level has been fostered through the exchange of information [in his seminars],” said Andrea Johnson, marketing and support assistant for UA’s Music Services. “This process is made possible through the welcoming atmosphere and spirit of collegiality and mutual respect displayed among all in attendance each year.”

This is the first year the University has hosted the Alessi Seminar, which has taken place biannually since 1999. Other universities that have hosted the event include The University of New Mexico and Nyack College.

According to the Alessi Seminar website, musicians from all over the country are invited to audition for a position in the participant class that will receive instruction from Joseph Alessi throughout the event. Only eight musicians are chosen for this prestigious honor.

Johnson said more than 75 participants are attending this year’s seminar. In years past, more than 400 trombonists ages 15-80 have attended the seminar, including high school and college students, weekend warriors and educators.

One past participant, Jemmie Robertson, said he learned so much from attending the Alessi Seminar.

“The Alessi seminar was a first-rate experience. I gained many insights into fundamentals and musicality, not only from Mr. Alessi’s masterful instruction, but also from the many wonderful trombonists who participated in the seminar,” Robertson said.

From Monday, Aug. 1 until Friday, Aug. 5, The Alessi Seminar will feature five concerts that will take place in the Moody Music Building on the UA campus. All concerts are free and open to the public.

On Friday, Aug. 5, the final concert will feature two world premiere compositions. Both pieces are dedicated in honor of the April 27 tornado victims.

“This event will truly appeal to any music lover. The caliber of musicianship and virtuosity exhibited will be a treat for any who attend,” Johnson said.