Pancake wins Edith Cummings Munson Golf Award

Alabama women’s golfer Brooke Pancake was awarded the 2011 Edith Cummings Munson Golf Award by the National Golf Coaches Association.

The award goes to the student-athlete who is an upper classman and both a NGCA All-American Scholar and a NGCA All-American. If more than one student-athlete qualifies, the student-athlete with the highest GPA receives the award. A donation of $5,000 is given from the Curtis & Edith Cummings Munson Foundation to the general scholarship fund of the recipient’s institution.

In a news release, head coach Mic Potter said, “This is a well-deserved honor for Brooke. She is the perfect candidate for the award because she is the ultimate combination of student and athlete. I wish everyone could know how dedicated Brooke is to both golf and academics, while also participating in our leadership program and on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. I would also like to thank the Munson family for the support of the NGCA and this award.”

Pancake’s first three seasons at Alabama have been the most successful in program history. She finished last season with first-team NGCA and Golfweek All-America honors. Pancake also excels academically. She earned first-team Academic All-America honors last season. Pancake is a marketing major and has earned a 4.00 cumulative GPA.

Pancake holds a school-record 73.27 career scoring average with 15 top-10 finishes and 23 rounds at par or better. She won her first tournament victory during the 2010-2011 season with a win at the Tar Heel Invitational, where she shot 11-under-par 205. She is a two-time SEC Women’s Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year, a three-time NGCA All-American Scholar and a three-time All-SEC selection.