Cauley sets par for success

Junior Bud Cauley leads Alabama men’s golf not only in the rankings, but also with his determination to succeed at his sport.

“He loves the game of golf,” head coach Jay Seawell said. “I knew that if we wanted to build a national championship-type program here, I had to get the best players. He fit what we wanted to do, and I think Alabama has been as great a fit for him as he has been for us.”

Cauley comes in as The Crimson White’s No. 3 athlete on campus. He has earned many awards while attending the University. Recently, he was declared a semifinalist for the Hogan Award for the second time. Last year, he was named a finalist for the award.

Cauley is a two-time first-team Golfweek All-American and also a two-time second-team PING All-American. He is also a two-time first-team All-SEC selection and was selected for the All-Nicklaus Team. In 2009, he was named the Southeastern Conference’s Freshman of the Year and was chosen to be part of the United States Walker Cup Team.

Seawell said he feels Cauley’s greatest accomplishment so far was being selected for the Walker Cup team.

“It’s a list of who’s who among great golf players,” Seawell said. “A lot of great professionals have been on that team.”

Cauley has won one tournament this year at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate, which totals to four tournament wins during his collegiate career with the Tide. Cauley has finished in the top 10 six times this year so far. His stroke average is currently 70.48, and he is currently ranked No. 6, according to Golfweek/Sagarin rankings.

Cauley said he believes his first tournament win during the spring season of his freshman year at the U.S. Collegiate Championship helped him to calm down and focus on his skill.

“I got my feet wet, and it made me comfortable,” Cauley said. “I had played a lot of events before college, but it’s always nice to be successful at the level you’re at. I’ve played really well since I got that first win under my belt.”

Cauley said he hopes his younger teammates and other golfers can see him as a leader.

“He’s real quiet, but his teammates recognize the work he puts in and his commitment to the game,” Seawell said. “I think that is where his leadership is.”

Seawell said he believes Cauley has a bright future and will be able to go professional.

“Ever since I started to play golf when I was six, it’s always been my dream to turn professional,” Cauley said. “I like to go out, play golf and practice every day. It’s always at the back of my mind and it’s something that I’m working towards.”

Cauley said he is still looking forward to accomplishing goals that he has set for himself while at the University.

“I’m hoping for a win at the national championships in June,” Cauley said. “I’m just going to keep my fingers crossed for that.”