Guest Recital features oboist Anna Pennington

UA students can enjoy the musical talents of a University of Southern Mississippi professor on Tuesday.

Anna Pennington will be featured in the guest recital, for the School of Music students, and anyone in the community to come and enjoy.

The recital will be held in the Moody Music Building concert hall at 7:30 p.m. and will last for approximately one hour. The event is free.

Shelly Meggison, assistant oboe professor, said both School of Music students and other members of the community will enjoy Pennington’s performance.

“People should come and enjoy hearing very high-level performing for free,” Meggison said. “It is a rare opportunity to experience live classical music at a truly professional level, and I know anyone and everyone who attends will really enjoy it.”

Pennington will be giving UA students enrolled in Meggison’s class a master class Tuesday afternoon then performing that evening.

“Dr. Pennington agreed to come and give our students a wonderful experience simply by being asked,” Meggison said.

Meggison said the pieces to be performed will be announced during the program, which she said should last about an hour. She said audiences can look forward to listening to the oboe and piano played by a talented artist.

According to her Web site, Pennington has performed all through the Americas as well as Europe. She is the English horn chair of the Pensacola Symphony, a member of Category 5, a woodwind quintet, and in 2003, she was the solo oboist of a classical fusion ensemble signed with EMI Classics in London.

Pennington is also an assistant professor of oboe at the University of Southern Mississippi.

“Dr. Pennington is a very gifted teacher, performer and clinician in the field of oboe performance,” Meggison said, “We are very fortunate to have her coming to campus to work with our students and perform for us.”

Alexander Camardelle, a freshman at the University of Southern Mississippi majoring in music education, said spent fall 2009 in her oboe class. He added that she is also his private instructor. He offers some advice for the UA students participating in her class on Tuesday.

“They have to be open-minded to the things she has to offer,” Camardelle said. “She has great teaching techniques, and she can introduce a lot of new ideas that the students may not be familiar with. She is very passionate about the music, and she is passionate about the success of her students.”