Q&A with Brooks Payne, vice president of external affairs candidate

Jessa Reid Bolling, Assistant News Editor

Q: Year, major, hometown:

A: Sophomore, communications studies, Enterprise, Alabama

Q: How did you originally get involved with SGA? Or if you’re not currently involved, what made you want to get involved?

A: SGA has always been a passion of mine, going all the way back into high school and junior high. I especially wanted to bring that into my college years. I think it’s really important for students to get involved if they want to see change and inspire change in others, and there’s no better way to do that than the SGA. I guess you could say my parents have always tried to raise me and my siblings to try and be born leaders. I consider myself a pretty friendly guy, and when people come [to] me with different problems they may have, they see me as a person that may be able to change it, and I want to be the kind of person that can help initiate that.

Q: What made you want to run for this position?

A: I wanted to run for vice president of external affairs mainly because, through being first a council speaker and leading up to senate, I saw that, in the community, I had a lot more friends through my parents than I knew I originally had. I saw it as a way to be more involved in the community. I wanted to help on the school level, but I knew I could take it a step further and see what I could do outsourcing and see what I could do in Tuscaloosa and for the rest of the state.

Q: What makes you the best choice for the office?

A: I believe I would be the best choice for this position because I followed closely along with Harrison Adams, the current vice president of external affairs, and Price McGiffert, who recently had the role, and I believe just following them and understanding what they do, I think I could, in a way, mimic it and make it just a good and just perfect it and see what I could do to make things better.

Q: What’s the biggest problem you see on campus?

A: One thing that could be changed is students don’t necessarily understand that there are different means and methods to go about changing things. You don’t just have to see a problem and say, ‘Oh, nobody can fix that.’ I think one way to see change on campus is to let the students know that everyone is listening and understanding their ideas, and they’re willing to reciprocate it and see what issues can be resolved. I guess more of an open state of mind is needed.

Q: What do you hope to change?

A: One of the biggest changes I would like to see could be categorized as consistency. Over the past few years, lighting and safety has been the No. 1 concern. I want to make that my No. 1 thing with more lighting on the quad, more lighting on the Strip. Then I want to double back and ensure that the recently promoted SAFE center has the funding and public relations that it needs for media relations and just prioritize safety overall for the students.

Q: What’s one last thing you want the voters to know about you?

A: One last thing I would like the voters to know is that I’m a very open guy. I do not shy away from any problems or any person in particular. I’m very talkative, very friendly, and I look forward to having conversations with whoever and whatever comes my way.