Fan’s help protect Tide’s house

The Crimson Tide men’s basketball team has been enjoying much student support this season, with The Crimson Chaos and other fans becoming a factor in the Tide’s recent 12-game home winning streak.

“This is our first official year as a student organization,” said Crimson Chaos president, Chris Griffin. “It’s a good feeling for sure because not only is the team getting better, but the student section at basketball games has gotten equally better.”

“So far at every conference game we have had growing student section numbers. At the LSU game, we were over capacity for student seating. I have never seen anything like that during my time as a student here. The team loves it, and they love the support.”

Players and coaches say that the student and fan support help a lot during the games.

“We have had outstanding crowds, and it has certainly helped us, especially in the SEC,” head coach Anthony Grant said. “For us, it’s a matter of making sure that we continue to bring the energy and the effort that we need to bring to keep all of our students and fans excited about the direction our program is headed.”

Freshman point guard Trevor Releford said, “The crowd being behind us is playing a big role. We see that, and it makes us want to win more and we play harder.”

Crimson Chaos and the student section are creating a different atmosphere and a buzz that this program has been missing for years. Not since 2006, the last year the Tide made the NCAA tournament, has the city been so high on Alabama basketball.

“If the team wins more, it’s a better environment, and it’s a lot more positive,” Griffin said. “We are undefeated at home so every moment and every game at Coleman has ended on a positive note. In previous years, people supported the team, but it’s a lot different with the positive atmosphere.”

With the growing attendance numbers, Coleman Coliseum is becoming a tougher place to play for visiting opponents. The crowd never stops cheering, and they make it uncomfortable for the opposing team, especially during foul shots.

The victories help the cause, but the crowd creates the atmosphere,” Chris Dodson, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film, said. The crowd has been amazing, especially at the Kentucky and LSU games. The crowd electrifies the entire coliseum and has really brought an environment that a lot of teams are not used to. So far the undefeated home record has definitely helped with attendance. The student section has come out in full force and it’s exciting to see the student body out participating and creating a loud environment in Coleman Coliseum.

With this new home court advantage, the Tide is looking to win its eighth regular season SEC title and first since 2002. Grant has brought the program back to life and has the fans looking forward to each and every game.

The Tide has four home games remaining this season: Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn, all come to Coleman Coliseum in the month of February. The Tide’s last home game will be against the Georgia Bulldogs on senior night the first weekend in March.