Hackberry Records signs first female

Reed Watson, president and founder of the Hackberry Recording Company, said he thinks there’s something special in Lena Dice, his newest signee. Dice, a freshman majoring in music at Shelton State Community College, is the first female solo artist to sign with the label.

“You get a lot more emotion across with the female voice,” Watson said.  “Her songs identify with a certain demographic we aren’t reaching now.”

While Watson has been dedicated to organized music since Hackberry Records’ start in 2006, it’s a new experience for Dice.

“It’s all scary—but in a good way,” she said. “I’m definitely happy because I’ve always wanted to perform.”

Recalling her musical beginnings, Dice said one of her biggest challenges was overcoming her stage fright. She credits her parents with facilitating the process.

“My parents didn’t force me, but they said I had to at least try something once,” Dice said. “Dad put me in theater, which helped my stage fright, and I did Alabama Choir School for six years.”

Dice’s YouTube fan base probably wouldn’t agree with her self-diagnosis of butterfly stomachaches.  Her work available on her YouTube channel, “heylookitslena,” has amassed nearly 20,000 unique upload views.

Her virtual popularity isn’t surprising to Watson. Hackberry Records found Dice at an open-mic night at Capture Studio Café.

“One of the most spell-binding and stunning performances I saw [at Capture] was by Lena Dice,” Watson said.  “I saw a small, nervous-looking girl with a guitar.  She started playing and the entire place went silent.”

Watson thinks that type of effect on a crowd is uncommon.

“She has phenomenal, rare control of a crowd. They’re in the palm of her hand,” Watson said. “You can’t teach that.  It’s a gift you have or a gift you don’t have.”

While much of that crowd control is a product of her voice, her distinctive musical style also contributes. Dice was first introduced to a “loop station”—a device that loops live sounds/beats allowing a solo artist to add depth to his/her music—while watching one of her favorite artists and major influences, Priscilla Ahn. Watching Ahn add harmonies to her sound without any pre-recording fascinated Dice. The secret of the loop station was unveiled to her during the holiday season.

“I got one for Christmas,” Dice said.

Dice intends to meet with Stuart Bond, co-owner of Hackberry Records, to begin working on an EP, an album with less than eight tracks. She believes surrounding herself with the label’s talented executives couldn’t hurt. After all, they are proven musicians: Watson is the house drummer at Bo’s Bar, and Bond is the front man for Sparrow + the Ghost.

“They’re all great musicians,” Dice said.  “I would love to learn from them, and they are very willing to teach.”

But Watson and Bond contend that they could be learning more from Dice.  Bond said that the young artist has already drawn attention from the Avett Brothers’ management, a sign that there is not much left to teach.

“She’s got it—just a matter of shaping and sharpening her skills,” Bond said.  “I’m just gonna stand back.”