Clutch! app looks to improve gameday parking

Photo courtesy of Clutch!

Shahriyar Emami, Staff Writer

For Annie Larkin and her friends, finding parking on game days has always been a hassle.

Larkin, a sophomore majoring in nursing, said her friends who live near the stadium have had trouble moving their cars around on game days.

“My friends live near the stadium and they always have to move their cars,” Larkin said. “It’s really stressful.”

But now, there’s an app for that.

Marketing itself as “the Airbnb of game day parking,” Clutch! connects fans with sellers, offering parking spaces within two miles of Bryant-Denny Stadium.

After downloading the app, sellers need to select the event, add an address with the number of spots and include a check-in schedule.

To reserve a spot, buyers need to make an account and pick an event. Spots can be reserved immediately and payment happens through the app, which is free to download.

Hunter Strickler, CEO of Clutch!, graduated from the University of Alabama in May 2006 with a degree in marketing. He said the idea for Clutch! came from being a college sports fan.

Several of Strickler’s business partners are also UA graduates.

“We have been to a number of games, obviously in Tuscaloosa, but all around the SEC and all around the country,” Strickler said.

For Strickler, parking is a common problem nationwide when it comes to the game day experience.

“One of the primary challenges of the game day experience is knowing where to go when you arrive, whether it’s in Tuscaloosa or a road day,” Strickler said. “As we’ve started talking to our buddies and other fans, we realized this really is one of the primary stressors of the game day experience if you don’t already reserve parking spots issued by the University or the athletic department.”

The app, Strickler said, had a soft launch on Aug. 1 with some local events like the Birmingham Barons Minor League games and went live last week.

“Obviously we’ve done a lot of testing of the product in the early stages of our development,” Strickler said. “This is our big debut in Tuscaloosa and we’re excited to get started, but we’re looking forward to a big year.”

Strickler said people are already reserving parking spots all around Tuscaloosa for every home game this season.

“I happen to be in the market of trying to sell a spot,” Ross Tortorigi, a senior majoring in business and marketing, said.

Tortorigi said two Clutch! representatives went to his fraternity house and explained the app.

Since Tortorigi lived in an apartment last year, he could not sell a parking spot. Now that he lives in a house, he can sell parking on game days.

“As a launch site, it’s easy to use,” Tortorigi said. “We got the offer online in a matter of 15 minutes.”

Strickler said he encourages students to participate by signing up as sellers on Clutch! and spreading the word.

“Obviously, it’s a good way for students and folks around campus to make some extra money while getting their game day back,” Strickler said.

Larkin noted that, with Clutch!, she and her friends will have more options.

“It helps everybody out and you can make money,” Larkin said. “I’m definitely about it.”

Alabama is the first state in the country to have Clutch!. The company is aiming to expand to other campuses in the state and across the country.

For Strickler, solving gameday parking is just the beginning.

“We are starting with solving the parking problem, but we certainly see ourselves very quickly in the future solving other game day fan-experience issues along the full spectrum of the game day experience,” Strickler said.