Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra presents diamond-themed music, prizes

On Feb. 12, The Tuscaloosa Symphony Orchestra and The University of Alabama Opera Theatre are collaborating in honor of the 160th anniversary of the composer Giacomo Puccini’s birth and to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Conductor Adam Flatt and Paul Houghtaling, Directory of the Capstone’s Opera Theatre, will conduct the orchestra and opera theatre through not only opera favorites, but popular songs from opera and musical theatre including “Diamonds are Forever,” “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” and “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend.”

All students in The University of Alabama’s Opera Theatre will be showcased with arrangements of these songs made specifically for the concert.

At the end of intermission, there will be a giveaway of a ruby and diamond ring in honor of Valentine’s Day and another National Championship for the Crimson Tide. The giveaway prize is donated by Hudson Poole Fine Jewelers and Gene Poole will present the ring to the lucky audience member who wins.

The event begins at 7 p.m. at Moody Music Building Concert Hall. Additionally, tickets will be available to purchase at www.tsoonline.org and at the door prior to the concert. The event will be a Valentine’s Day date for people of all ages.