UA Theatre & Dance shows to see this spring

By Logan Doctson | Staff Reporter 

Each semester, the UA department of Theatre and Dance slates a variety of theatrical performances to run on campus. Patrons are presented with top-notch performances, some of which are rehearsed for months at a time. 

From dance shows to plays and musicals in the genres of comedy and drama, the UA theatre and dance department is providing a wide range of entertainment for its audiences. Here’s the lineup for this semester’s upcoming shows. Tickets for these shows are available at theatre.ua.edu. 

Vinegar Tom

Set in the seventeenth century and inspired by the Women’s Rights Act of 1970, Vinegar Tom explores gender and power relationships, with the added element of witchcraft. British playwright Caryl Churchill’s drama revolves around witchcraft and the oppression of women. The play tells the story of Alice, a woman in her twenties. Alice and her mother, Joan, are accused of witchcraft after a disagreement with their neighbors. 

When: Feb. 13-18

Where: Marian Gallaway Theatre

Alabama Repertory Dance Theatre Spring 2018

The pre-professional dance company, Alabama Repertory Dance Theatre, will take the stage featuring all-new choreography by the UA dance faculty. Each semester, students showcase dances in a variety of styles at this production. 

When: Feb. 20-24

Where: Morgan Auditorium

A Bright Room Called Day

Set in Germany in 1932, Agnes and her friends find themselves in the midst of the fall of the Weimar Republic and the rise of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi regime, a turning point of history. The group of artists and political activists struggle to protect themselves. The plot is centered around Agnes Eggling, a middle-aged actress. Much of this play takes place in her apartment. Written by Tony Kushner, Pulitzer prize-winning playwright of “Angels in America,” comes a political and entertaining story. 

When: Feb. 26 – March 4

Where: Allen Bales Theatre

Dance Alabama!

“Dance Alabama!” returns to the stage for their spring concert featuring new dances that are choreographed by students. Like Alabama Repertory Dance Theatre, this production showcases dance in a variety of styles, but Dance Alabama! is choreographed, set and lit entirely by students. 

When: March 27-31

Where: Morgan Auditorium

I Gelosi 

“I Gelosi” focuses on an Italian acting troupe that rose to fame across Europe. This play revolves around the emotions of love, greed and jealousy. The plot centers around Isabella Andreini’s induction into “I Gelosi,” a legendary Italian acting troupe, in its earliest days. With Andreini’s skillful acting and poetry, she helped the acting troupe become distinguished. 

When: April 9-15

Where: Allen Bales Theatre

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

To many, this musical is considered Stephen Sondheim’s masterpiece. “Sweeney Todd” opened on Broadway in 1979 and in the West End in 1980. The musical won the Tony Award for Best Musical and the Olivier Award for Best New Musical. The plot revolves around Benjamin Baker, who returns to London to seek revenge on the corrupt judge who ruined his life. With the help of Mrs. Lovett, an old friend, Baker reopens his barber shop and takes the name Sweeney Todd. 

When: April 17-22

Where: Marian Gallaway Theatre

Dance Collection 

Choreographed dances by UA’s faculty, graduating seniors and rising UA dance students will be presented at Morgan Auditorium for the dance department’s grand finale of the semester. 

When: April 20

Where: Morgan Auditorium