Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra offers free performance this Sunday

The Moody Music Building will be alive with the sounds of the orchestra this Sunday evening, Nov. 26. The Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra will be performing for those who want to end Thanksgiving weekend on a musical note. From 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. audiences are invited to come and enjoy the Orchestra’s fall concert for free.

The Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra is a full orchestra of advanced student musicians interested in performing orchestral repertoire and for the community. It is made up of students of all ages, including high school students, middle school students and UA students. There are also a few adult community members in the ranks. The Orchestra is led by a UA School of Music faculty conductor and an assistant graduate student.

Each year, around 50 students throughout West Alabama participate in the Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra. These students are a part of an educational environment that supports up-and-coming musicians and provides a musical outlet for community members.

The UA Community Music School sponsors the Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra. It is an outreach program from the Arts and Sciences college on campus. The Community Music School is a non-degree granting outreach program and offers over 600 students a chance to grow their musical talents.