Explosive first play sets the tone for Alabama offense in big win over Arkansas

It only took 15 seconds for Alabama to impose its will on Arkansas. 

Just one snap in, running back Damien Harris ran right, cut back and saw a lot of green grass in front of him. It was over from there. A 75-yard touchdown run on the opening play of the game. It was a play that energized Alabama right from the start.

“We just wanted to come out and start fast,” Harris said. “We thought we had done a good job of that over the course of the season. It was just another game where we wanted to come out and start fast, start explosive. It was a very well-blocked play.”

Harris, once again, turned in a strong performance as No. 1 Alabama defeated Arkansas, 41-9, at home. His 75-yard run was his third touchdown run of the year that went for 60 or more yards. Tonight, he finished with 125 yards on just nine carries. He now has more than 100 yards in three of his last four games.

Harris’ play paced Alabama’s offense, which finished with 496 yards overall and 308 yards on the ground.

“It gets the whole team going,” wide receiver Calvin Ridley said of Harris’ run. “We want to come out and score right away on offense on our first possession to get the team fired up.”

Harris has become Alabama’s featured back due to strides he made in the off season. He added two more touchdowns tonight, bringing his season total to nine, which is seven more than he had last season. Harris is starting to turn heads across the country, and is getting major praise from his teammates after another big performance.

“Damien (Harris) makes plays,” quarterback Jalen Hurts said. “He’s probably one of the top running backs in the country. I get to watch it every Saturday.”

Harris made plays early and set the tempo for Alabama. The offense wasn’t perfect at times, but the team still managed to move the ball efficiently against the Razorbacks. The offense wanted to respond after not finishing strong against Texas A&M. They believe they did that tonight.

“We didn’t come out and play a complete game last week,” Ridley said. “We wanted to play a game for four quarters, and dominate our opponent. We played good ball.”

Alabama’s offense spread the wealth against Arkansas. The Crimson Tide had three different players score rushing touchdowns. In the passing game, Hurts hit eight different receivers in the game and finished 12 of 19 for 155 yards and one touchdown. Hurts also threw his first interception in 206 passing attempts. 

As the passing game continues to develop, head coach Nick Saban said there are still some things to clean up.

“We need to continue to improve (in the passing game),” Saban said. “I think tonight we had some play-action passes open that we weren’t able to hit, because we had pressure in the pocket. I think Jalen (Hurts) has made some pretty good throws…I also think we need to clean up the protection.”

Hurts’ lone passing touchdown went to Henry Ruggs III. Ruggs is one of three freshman wide receivers who has earned significant playing time. Against Arkansas, Ruggs III once again showed that throwing to him means good things for Alabama. He has four catches this season, and they have all gone for touchdowns.

“I like Henry Ruggs,” Saban said. “He’s fast. He’s explosive. He has got really good hands…I think he’s a very explosive guy and a hard worker. He’s a good teammate. He’s not a selfish guy at all. He doesn’t get upset when he doesn’t get the ball.”

Alabama now improves to 7-0 overall and 4-0 in SEC play. The Crimson Tide will try and continue its dominating play when it hosts Tennessee next week.