Students talk weird gameday quirks and traditions

Brooke Nemeth wears her hair in the same bun for every game. 

This hairstyle turned superstition for Nemeth, a senior majoring in exercise and sports science, because the only time she has worn it any differently was the Peach Bowl against Washington, which was followed by the National Championship loss. As a member of the Million Dollar Band, Nemeth attends every home game and all postseason games, making this superstition a big part of her routine.

Gamedays on this campus, and everywhere, tend to be riddled with habitualness. Quad activities don’t tend to deviate much from Saturday to Saturday, and fans are content with that. Whether it’s wearing the same gameday button every week or eating the same Dreamland nachos every fourth quarter, traditions and rituals drive the fervent fandom that is the culture of the Crimson Tide. 

Many students and fans believe that their rituals truly have an impact on the Crimson Tide, based on their actions and decisions surrounding gamedays in the fall. Several students sounded off on their own traditions and superstitions. 

Britton Bullock, a senior majoring in music performance, knows of a fellow student that must always do the same chant before every Alabama third down, in hopes of getting the first down and continuing the drive. Additionally, they wore the same button for every game for the past two years up until the National Championship loss to Clemson.

For one student, a quirky hometown resident celebrates Alabama success with dairy. Hampton Glenn, a junior majoring in biology, hails from Andalusia, Alabama, where another Crimson Tide fan is known for purchasing an entire gallon of chocolate milk before each game. After every touchdown, he pours a glass of the chocolate milk and drinks it on the spot in celebration.

One alumnae’s tradition leans to a more virtual realm. Kevin McPartland, a graduate student in the history department attended school with a friend that always played a simulation game on Playstation against the team that Alabama played each week. The friend attended Alabama but has since moved away, but according to McPartland, he still attempts to play the traditional simulation game each Friday night before gameday.

Anna Handley, a junior majoring in accounting has a family member who attended the University, but continues a gameday tradition she has always had. Handley’s cousin always has to shop at the SupeStore before the game and go for a walk on the Quad to visit Denny Chimes. Before it was discontinued, her cousin also made a weekly trip to Big Bad Wolves’ BBQ for nachos as well.