Tuscaloosa Thrifting: The best places to pinch a penny

By Will Baggett | Staff Reporter

Throwback party attire, reasonably-price clothing and used furniture without the steep price tag are a few of the things you can find while shopping at a thrift store. In Tuscaloosa and Northport, there are a collection of thrift stores with offerings that range from clothes to appliances to old furniture. If you are in the market for some new-to-you used items, here are a few of the places close to campus that offer a diverse array.

Deja Vu Consignment Store

Deja Vu specializes in high-quality, upscale clothing items, but still at the low price of a thrift store. Located on McFarland Boulevard, it’s not far from campus and offers a selection of clothes that can be used in your everyday routine and for gameday.

Plato’s Closet

Located on McFarland Boulevard by Moe’s Southwest Grill, this location is a good thrift store to go to on a regular basis due to its consistent stream of donations from locals. Plato’s Closet puts an emphasis on carrying “gently-used” clothing to make sure that what it’s offering is good enough to be purchased regularly. As part of a chain of thrift stores, Plato’s Closet has a large selection of clothes and works well as an everyday clothing retailer.

America’s Thrift Store

What sets this thrift store apart from the others in town is its size. It carries a large selection of used and donated items, and it is easy to find something even while you are just browsing around. America’s Thrift Store is the perfect store for the frugal buyer who is looking for items with a past. You can find all sorts of interesting knick-knacks and decorations that you never knew you would want to buy. This thrift store is best experienced by browsing for anything and everything.

Better Deals Thrift Store

Better Deals Thrift Store specializes in appliances and used furniture. It is a good store to go to if you are in the market for important items like appliances, but you are not trying to spend the pretty penny that usually accompanies those purchases. For the more mature thrifty purchasers, Better Deals Thrift Store is the store to go to.