Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go?

There’s no question that Alabama football has a storied history and a rich tradition.

Something that has not been part of that tradition is having its players leave early for the NFL draft.

That is rapidly beginning to change. As the program rises back to prominence, it is producing more and more players who have the opportunity to opt out of their senior season for professional football.

Three Crimson Tide players – defensive end Marcell Dareus, wide receiver Julio Jones and running back Mark Ingram – declared for the NFL draft last week. Four other Alabama players have made this decision the past two years, but few before that have made the jump early.

Opting to move on to professional sports before graduation didn’t become popular until the ’90s. From the early ’90s until a few years ago, Alabama’s program has failed to stay on top, and it shows in its early departure rate.

While Dareus, Jones and Ingram prepare to leave the Capstone, we take a look at other Tide players who made the rare early jump to the NFL and how they fared once they got there.

Marcell DareusMarcell Dareus, Defensive End

Alabama career: Defensive MVP of 2010 BCS National Championship Game Projected draft position: Top 10 pick

Julio JonesJulio Jones, Wide Receiver

Alabama career: Broke multiple single-season school records this season, including receptions and receiving yards. Projected draft position: Mid first round

Mark IngramMark Ingram, Running Back

Alabama career: The school’s first ever Heisman Trophy winner (2009); broke many school rushing records Projected draft position: Mid-late first round

Rolando McClainRolando McClain, Middle Linebacker

Alabama career: Two-time first-team All-SEC (2008, 2009), first-team All-American (2009) Drafted: First round, No. 8 overall in 2010 (Oakland Raiders) How he fared: Finished third on the team with 85 tackles during his rookie season in 2010.

Kareem JacksonKareem Jackson, Cornerback

Alabama career: Three-year starter; freshman All-American (2007) Drafted: First round, No. 20 overall in 2010 (Houston Texans) How he fared: Was a starter throughout his rookie season in 2010, ranking fifth on the team in tackles and fourth in interceptions

Glen CoffeeGlen Coffee, Running Back

Alabama career: First-team All-SEC (2008), sixth best yards per carry in Alabama history in 2008 (5.9) Drafted: Third round, No. 74 overall in 2009 (San Francisco 49ers) How he fared: Retired after one season as a backup

Andre SmithAndre Smith, Offensive Tackle

Alabama career: Three-year starter, Outland Trophy Winner (2008), Consensus All-American (2008) Drafted: First round, No. 6 overall in 2009 (Cincinnati Bengals) How he fared: Has played in 13 games and started five in his first two seasons in the league

David PalmerDavid Palmer, Wide Receiver

Alabama career: First 1,000-yard receiver in Alabama history, finished 3rd in Heisman voting (1993) Drafted: Second round, No. 40 overall in 1994 (Minnesota Vikings) How he fared: Scored three return touchdowns in seven NFL seasons but never fulfilled his potential as a receiver