Cherry Blow Dry Bar offers styling options

Caroline Japal

Wash. Dry. Style. Repeat. It’s an age-old routine, but one often performed at home. Stylists at Tuscaloosa’s newest blow-dry bar add a twist, offering customers a near-salon experience.

Cherry Blow Dry Bar recently had their grand opening on Friday, Aug. 25 to officially introduce a new wave of hair care to the Tuscaloosa area.  With numerous styles to choose from, Cherry offers an affordable hair styling service as well as their own products and makeup. 

“Tuscaloosa desperately needed something like this,” said manager Hadley Christian, a UA graduate.  “Our franchise is based out of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and it’s been a lot of fun helping them adjust to a new climate, because we are the first college town that Cherry has ever been in.”  

The blow dry bar and its stylists aim to keep the atmosphere of the bar as upbeat and light as possible. 

“It’s such a good environment” said Christian, “It’s always awkward when you’re sitting here getting a blowout and it’s just quiet, so we try to keep everything going by playing music and just having a fun time.” 

Cherry opened their doors early for women participating in sorority recruitment this year. 

“During recruitment we actually opened at 6 a.m. for girls,”Christian said. “Bid day we maybe had 30 appointments before 9 a.m.” 

Cherry certainly caters to the University’s sorority women, but Dana Duckworth, the UA gymnastics coach, is also a frequent visitor. 

“Dana is actually one of our members – her daughter comes in with her a lot,” Christian said. “And then two weeks ago she brought in her entire coaching staff.” 

Cherry is just not limited to women. The men on Duckworth’s staff also came in to participate in a team-building event.  

“They came in and we had a brunch set up for them,” Christian said. “And even the men came in and got their hair washed and got the scalp massages.” 

Cherry is a membership-based salon, offering a variety of different memberships varying from two blowouts a month to an unlimited amount.  

“Once you get started on it, you get hooked,” Christian said. “The blow dry bar expects to gain more customers in the Tuscaloosa area, especially catering to the students.”

When customers become more acquainted with the blow dry experience, Cherry invites them to customize their experience. 

“We are happy to accommodate special requests, especially when you do find that stylist that you like,” Christian said. 

Cherry’s hours are from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday to Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

“The hours are great for date parties and things like that,” Christian said. “We’re open until 9 p.m. so you don’t ever have to worry about missing your party because you’re having to get your hair done at 4 p.m.” 

Cherry also offers their own products and makeup for clients to purchase.  

“It’s really accessible if you find a product you love,”  Christian said. ”You can just walk up to the front and grab it.” 

Amongst other perks of Tuscaloosa’s first blow dry bar is the option to pay with Bama Cash.

“Everyone who works here is a licensed cosmetologist,” Christian said. “They all went to school in Alabama, and they are all very experienced.” 

Five of Cherry’s stylists quit their previous jobs to work at the blow dry bar. 

“I love the environment here, that’s the reason why I quit my old job,” said stylist Ashley Jackson. “The environment here is so much better.” 

The stylists work to keep a positive and fun environment for their customers and with each other.  

“I wouldn’t go anywhere else,” said stylist Taylor Smith.

Cherry Blow Dry Bar offers quick service for busy students. 

“You can get a blowout in 45 minutes, you’re not here all day,” Christian said.