Tide’s tempo too much for Jags

The Alabama men’s basketball team (4-3) defeated the South Alabama Jaguars (2-3) 72-50 Wednesday night.

The Jaguars, from the Sun Belt Conference, led the game until midway through the first half, but the Tide closed the half with a 13-4 run, taking a 10-point lead into the break. Charvez Davis sparked the run with 11 first-half points, including three-of-three from behind the arc.

“I’m proud of our team and the way that we came out and stuck together tonight,” head coach Anthony Grant said. “It wasn’t pretty to start the game. We got down in a little bit of a hole. The game was played in spurts, somewhat like our last game.”

Alabama imposed its will on the Jaguars, playing an up-tempo game. On defense, the Tide played full-court, man-to-man and forced turnovers. On offense, Alabama pushed the ball in transition, outscoring the Jags in fast break points.

“I thought our guys really kicked in on the defensive end in the second half,” Grant said. “We were able to get out in transition and after a couple of spectacular plays were made, the momentum was in our favor and we were able to take control of the game.”

Forwards Tony Mitchell and Chris Hines and guard Senario Hillman were stand-out players for the Tide. Each player scored in double-figures. Mitchell led the team in scoring with 20 points and added 13 rebounds. He threw down flashy dunks in the open court and blocked shots on defense.

“Tony, as a sophomore, continues to improve with every game,” Grant said. “As he continues to learn as a player, he has a chance to be one of the elite players in our league. With Tony, he has to bring consistent effort and come with the correct mindset every game. He had another double-double tonight and we were pleased with his effort in tonight’s game.”

Forwards Martino Brock and Javier Carter led the Jaguars with 11 and 10 points, respectively. USA shot 32.3 percent from the field, including 14.3 percent from the three-point line. They were also outscored in bench points by the Tide, 26-6.

This is the second straight game the Tide has played without star forward JaMychal Green. Green was suspended indefinitely from the team by Grant for conduct detrimental to the team.

“As I mentioned the other day, JaMychal and I met the other day and we had a good conversation,” Grant said. “I will let you know as soon as anything does change as far as his status goes. As of now, nothing has changed.”

The Tide’s next two games will be on the road against No. 22 Purdue and Providence before returning home to face Southeastern Louisiana in Coleman Coliseum. Alabama begins Southeastern Conference play Jan. 8, 2011 in Starkville, Miss., against Mississippi State.