Non-religious group offers alternative

There are many religious organizations on campus that cover a wide spectrum of faiths, sects and beliefs. However, where do students go who consider themselves non-religious?

The University’s student-led atheist and agnostic organization, Alabama Atheists and Agnostics, or AAA, is a “free-thinking and non-religious community” that offers a place for students who “hold various perspectives on faith and religion,” according to the AAA Facebook page.

Peter Sloan, the former vice president of AAA and a founder of the organization, defined being atheist as someone who believes God does not exist, while being agnostic is believing that it is impossible to know whether God exists.

“In my opinion, most agnostics live their day-to-day lives as though they were atheists,” Sloan said.

Sophomore Tim Keele, the current president of AAA, agreed with Sloan’s definitions but also said that one thing AAA wants to emphasize is that the definitions of atheism and agnosticism are “non-personal.”

“The phrase atheist has such a stigma that if a precise definition is not being used, people will argue in circles to avoid the label,” Keele said. “Generally, a sign of a recently-turned-atheist is their refusal to call themselves one, even if they qualify for the definition. In general, atheism implies a world view that does not draw upon the spiritual at all; for most of our members, this implies a scientific or analytic mode of doing things.”

Many of the group meetings are devoted to informal group discussions about faith and religion where members can discuss personal definitions such as Sloan’s or Keele’s and others’ thoughts on religion.

Sloan said many atheists and agnostics differ in philosophy and he said atheism and agnosticism should not be considered a faith, spirituality or religion.

“All they are is the lack of traditional theistic belief so they do not have any official creed or doctrine,” Sloan said. “Atheists and agnostics differ from each other greatly — and proudly so.”

“I personally believe that atheism cannot be subsumed under spirituality because it is, by definition, a statement on the usefulness of spirituality,” Keele said. “It is a separate worldview from faith or religion.”

Keele said he has not faced many difficulties as an atheist at the University but said he feels the biggest problems students in AAA face is being atheist or agnostic in the South.

“College campuses tend to be, if not open-minded, at least somewhat tolerant,” Keele said. “The worst an atheist at UA is likely to experience is an alienated friend, some awkward meetings or classes that turn out to be almost entirely Christian and the occasional uncomfortable run-in with bigots… Local high schools are far less accepting of atheism in general, and several AAA members do not feel safe or wanted in their own homes.”

Keele said AAA can be a haven for students for this reason.

“In this respect, AAA acts as a safe haven for the non-religious to talk about their beliefs, experiences and lives without fear,” Keele said. “It allows many people to just be themselves for the first time.”

While he has experienced moments of prejudice, Sloan said his time at the University has been rewarding.

“I feel great being an atheist at UA,” Sloan said. “I have definitely encountered some bigotry or close-mindedness, but instances of it have been few and far between. I love that I helped establish an organization on campus that provides something unique and important.”

Keele recommended students who are atheists or agnostics and are looking to get involved first try out AAA by coming to some social events or committee meetings. He said there is an Ask-an-Atheist table the first week of every month in the Ferguson Center.

“The best way for students to get a feel for what we do and how they can contribute is to get to know the AAA’s members and projects,” Keele said. “Ask-an-Atheist tables are a great way to meet people and learn what individual AAA members believe and how they contribute to AAA.”

Sloan said the group is the single best place at the Unversity to meet other non-religious students.

Keele said this semester AAA focused on making popular past events a regular thing – such a weekly AAA dinner, forum-type discussions and the Ask-an-Atheist table.

Next semester AAA is planning a community service event without going to a church, meetings with other local organizations like AAA, a political action committee, a lecture series and a screening of Carl Sagan’s mini-series “Cosmos.”

“To get involved, come to our first group and committee meetings next semester,” Keele said.

Junior Gordon Maples, secretary of AAA, said he is looking forward to the future growth and outreach of the group.

“In the future, we are looking forward to working in the community with other religious and non-religious organizations alike for the good of the community as a whole,” Maples said.