Go granola or go home: The best outdoor hangout spots in Tuscaloosa

Cooler temperatures will soon beckon Tuscaloosa residents into the great outdoors. As October begins, so with it the countdown to chilly weather. Here is a list of outdoor activities to enjoy while wearing sweatshirts, jeans and boots.

Lake Lurleen State Park

This nearby park is the perfect getaway with its proximity to campus. The park offers a mountain biking trail, one that rivals others in the state. There are 22 miles of trail to be traversed that are rated as being comfortable for any experience level. Lake Lurleen State Park also provides fishing and camping locations. The entrance fee is $4, as long as you enter the park during daylight hours (campers are allowed to stay overnight).

RiverWalk

The RiverWalk along the Black Warrior River is a year-round location for outdoor activity. Located on Jack Warner Parkway, it is close to campus and provides the outdoor atmosphere for everything from strolling with friends to lounging in hammocks. The trees of the RiverWalk provide a perfect spot to set up an ENO and read a book. The trails along the RiverWalk give you an excuse to get outside and get off the treadmill for your next workout.

UA Arboretum

The UA Arboretum is a piece of university-owned land used for research and education. Within the Arboretum, there are trails that wind between rare species of trees and plants. The Arboretum provides not only a sanctuary for endangered plants, but also a relaxing escape from everyday life.

Capitol Park

Capitol Park is located just a few blocks from downtown Tuscaloosa. Capitol Park is the site of an old state capitol building that later became a women’s college before burning to the ground. Today, some ruins remain of the capitol building and give the park a historical feel. Although Capitol Park only takes up about one block, there is plenty of grassy area to have a picnic or be with friends. Visitors can sit and relax under a pavilion or among the actual ruins of the building.

Red Mountain Park

While Red Mountain is located in Birmingham, it is worth the 45-minute drive. The park offers zip lining, dog parks, and the Kaul Adventure Tower. Red Mountain Park also has 15 miles of hiking trails that include two city overlooks and three tree houses. This official location for outdoor adventures is a perfect stop for a weekend Birmingham road trip.