This weekend's Kentuck Festival to allow craft beer for the first time

This year’s Kentuck Festival of the Arts will feature local art, music and for the first time ever, beer.

This is the 45th year of the event, which will begin on Oct. 15 and be held at the Kentuck Art Center in Northport.

“The festival is about expression, and for people to feel free to show their artistic side,” said Paul Whitehurst, volunteer at the Kentuck Festival of the Arts for around 30 years. “Art is about whatever someone creative can think of, and it allows people to broaden their mind.”

This year will be the first time alcohol will be sold at the festival. Selling craft beer has been debated, since the festival is known for having a family friendly atmosphere.

“We have a lot of new craft beer people in town, and everyone seems interested in the movement,” Whitehurst said. “We have gotten positive feedback so hopefully it works out.”

Most of the studio artists at the art center show off their work during the weekend. There are additional ways to get involved with the center as well, like volunteering for events and participating in art night every Thursday.

“The festival gives you a chance to explore the different creations from the artists there,” said Andrew Posey, student at The University of Alabama. “You get to hear the stories about their work, and why they enjoy doing it.”

The event will host more than 270 national and international folk artists and craftspeople presenting their work. A few of the interactive demonstrations offered include basketmakers, traditional potters and jewelers.

“I remember a local school had a booth with student art,” said Lindsay Rudoff, student at The University of Alabama. “The students were at the festival showcasing and explaining their work. I loved that.”

In addition, Kentuck features a wide variety of musical acts. The two-day line-up of musicians is available on the Kentuck Art Center website along with a description of the type of music they play. There will be various music styles like rock ‘n’ roll, jazz, gospel, zydeco and folk-pop.

“The art center does a good job at finding talented musicians that are fairly unknown,” Whitehurst said. “The music draws people to the food court, and give them a chance to eat and relax.”

The festival encourages people to bring kids to help get them interested in art at a young age. They will offer hands-on activities for children.

In the previous years, kids have been able to participate in some events like face painting and creating birdhouses with the woodworkers. Kids were provided with instruments to try by the Tuscaloosa Symphony.

“It’s something different to do in town,” Rudoff said. “It was so much fun walking around and exploring.”