Alabama soccer eliminated after first round of SEC tournament

Alabama soccer fell in the first round of the Southeastern Conference tournament to Texas A&M, 1-0, in double overtime on Monday. With the loss, the Crimson Tide is eliminated from the tournament and finishes the 2016 season with a 9-8-2 record overall.

Most of the game was a possession battle, and the first half started in that fashion. Alabama’s first shot came 39 minutes into the game when sophomore Emma Welch was unable to beat the keeper. Junior Kat Stratton recorded three saves in the first half.

The second half was not much different, as both teams were unable to generate much offense. Stratton came up big for the Crimson Tide in the 47th minute, making an acrobatic save to deny a goal. Moments later, junior Chatham Deprospo challenged the goalkeeper, but was unable to get a goal. In the 71st minute, junior Hailey Brohaugh gave Alabama one of its best chances of the game, heading a ball off of the crossbar. In the 85th minute, Stratton recorded back-to-back saves to keep Alabama in the game. Both teams remained scoreless heading into the end of regulation.

In the first portion of overtime, only Texas A&M recorded a shot, picking up two early on. Both teams could not score, though, and the game would go into a second overtime period.

Early into the final stretch, Stratton managed to save a shot from Texas A&M, but Emily Bates quickly slotted home the rebound to give the Aggies the 1-0 win.