Newcomers’ development key for Tide’s success

The Alabama Crimson Tide men’s basketball team has added five freshmen to the team that will need to contribute this season if the Tide hopes to have a successful 2010-2011 season.

The freshmen include starting point guard Trevor Releford, Carl Engstrom, Kendall Durant, Charles Hankerson and Jason Carter.

“I think the five newcomers have had varied levels of opportunities so far,” Grant said. “Overall, I have to say that I am pleased with where they are and their understanding of what it takes for us to have a chance to be successful and the roles that they have to play or really the understanding they have to have in order to play to help our team.”

Grant does not want the focus to be on one of the freshman. He says that it will take a lot of hard work and effort from all of the newcomers.

“Obviously Trevor Releford has probably had the most experience over the last two [exhibition] games because of the fact that he is our starting point guard, and he has played significant minutes,” Grant said. “I have also been pleased with the play that we have gotten out of Kendall Durant. I think he’s come in and with every game understanding how to be a little more effective. Carl Engstrom has given us some valuable minutes off of the bench, and learning where he can be effective.

“The same can be said for Charles Hankerson and Jason Carter. All five of our guys are at different stages in terms of their development, but in order for us to be successful we need all of those guys to provide some depth and some much needed production for our team.”

Releford said he feels it is still a work-in-progress for himself and all of the other freshmen on the team.

“I think we all played well in the first two games,” Releford said. “We all have a lot of improving and learning to do and that will come along as the season goes on.”

Forward Tony Mitchell, who was a freshman who played a key role for the Tide last year, said that you have to be patient with the young guys.

“We just have to keep talking to them and praising them instead of putting them down,” Mitchell said. “We have to tell them to keep their heads up and that everyone was a freshman once.”