WWII vets to be honored Saturday

Thirteen former University of Alabama football players who served during World War II will be honored in Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday. Alabama will host these veterans during the Mississippi State game in honor of Veterans Day.

Lionel Noonan, a fullback and outside linebacker during the 40s, says he’s ecstatic to come back to campus.

“I really can’t express it,” Noonan said. “I’m so excited, after so many years. And my presence there will be remembering many that passed on. So whatever [I] receive, [I] receive it in memory.

“It’s been 64 years since I’ve seen some of my teammates, so I’m most anxious to see ‘em.”

Noonan served in the war for three years, teaching obstacle courses and jujitsu. Noonan said one of his most fond memories is of the people he served with during the war, many of whom he later played against.

“I talked a couple of my buddies into the Paramarines, 82nd Airborne, and one of the two I talked into became captain of Auburn when we played ‘em in 1948,” Noonan said. “These were high school friends.”

Nick Terlizzi, another player to be honored, entered the draft in 1944, received an honorable discharge and was able to come back and play until 1948, when he graduated from Alabama. Terlizzi also said he was excited, especially being able to bring his family into town.

“I’ve missed a lot of reunions,” Terlizzi said. “I’m really pleased, and the family’s pleased.”

For these two veterans, being honored brings back memories when they were players and served during the war.

For Terlizzi, his fondest memory was playing for Frank Thomas, especially during the ’45 and ’46 seasons. Terlizzi said even while serving, he wrote his former coach often.

“I went into the service in ‘44, and I wrote him a lot,” Terlizzi said. “His office was always open. I played under a lot of coaches, but there’s no coach like Coach Thomas.”

Norman “Monk” Mosley, another player to be honored who played left half back for Alabama, said he was honored to have his service recognized. He served in submarines for three years in the Pacific.

“Of course I appreciate it,” Mosley said. “[I’ll] have it with me the rest of my life. I hope they appreciate what I tried to do. I’m satisfied with my participation with the war and athletics.”

Despite being honored by Alabama, Mosley said he still owes a lot to his old university.

“Well, for one thing, getting my degree,” Mosley said. “If it hadn’t been for that, I don’t think I would’ve made it.”

Of course, Mosley said his college days weren’t the only times he was given an education. Mosley said he learned a lot from his service in the war as well.

“[I have a] respect for life,” Mosley said. “When I got back [from serving], I think I appreciated my country much more. You’re here today, gone tomorrow.”

Noonan also learned from his time served, and offered this advice for young people in college: “Give it your all, be honest, be forthright,” Noonan said. “You put a priority on what we expect. Maintain a strong belief, but be cordial in what you believe.

“It all goes back to respecting your fellow man, and what this country has done. We should encourage everyone to reach beyond their grasp.”

The 10 other veterans being honored along with Noonan, Terlizzi and Mosley on Saturday are Bill Cadenhead, Charles Davis, Don Salls, Ray Hutson, Wildon Bennett, Rebel Steiner, Emmett Dendy, Mike Mizerany Sr., Byron Chambliss and Howard Pierson.